Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752292 Members
4883 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cloning 18.2Gb drive to 36.4Gb drive on Tru64 4.0G How ?

Howard Anderson_2
Frequent Advisor

Cloning 18.2Gb drive to 36.4Gb drive on Tru64 4.0G How ?

I am replacing the 18.2Gb system drives on a pair of ES40 AlphaServers with some nice new 36.4Gb (the smallest available new) 15,000rpm SCSI drives.
I have successfully cloned the 18Gb drives in the past using dd if=/dev/rrz1c of=/dev/rrz2c bs=1024k. However although this appears to work fine onto a 36.4Gb drive, I am worried that I will not have the correct disk label on the drive. (I do not need the extra space.)
Do I need to worry? will this cause me problems down the line ? If so, can someone please suggest a more suitable method for cloning to a dissimilar drive. Do I need to disklabel the new drive, mark AdvFS partitions, then use some kind of vdump - | vrestore - method to transfer the data?
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Do I need to disklabel [...]

That's what I'd do. I can't think of a way
that the crude copy scheme would fail, but
I'd feel better about having a disk label
which agreed with reality.
Howard Anderson_2
Frequent Advisor

What I have ended up doing is to create a disklabel template, for the new larger disk, with all the same partition settings as the existing disk, except for a larger 'h' partition (which is unused on the source disk anyway.) This label retains the rpm, trackskew etc. settings of the new disk.

Then do the clone using dd, and apply the disklabel to the new disk using the template immediatley after the clone.
This gives me a verifible set of advfs partitions and a larger spare 'h' partition, whilst retaining a correct disklabel.

Stiwi Wondrusch
Trusted Contributor

Hi is this a data or system disk?
Do you want a clone or yust move data from one disk to the other?
What Tru64 version?

rgds Stiwi
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Howard,
Do you have normal (ufs or advfs) file systems or some raw partitions?
In case of file systems it is very easy to migrate data using vdump | vrestore.
If you want, I can make a procedure how to do that. Just give me more informations about file systems on that disk.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Howard_24
Advisor

It seems that you are running Advfs file systems. Have you looked into doing an addvol and a rmvol on the advfs volumes to the new disk?

Howard
Howard Anderson_2
Frequent Advisor

Many thanks for all the replies, but I have now solved this problem, as described in my last post.
For info, referring to the above questions, I am using Tru64 4.0G Unix (old I know.)
with AdvFS partitions.
I am 'cloning' the disk, as the task is to refresh the disk hardware.
The dd method with application of the corrected disklabel afterwards works fine for me, but this is only good if you know of and retain all of the existing partition sizes. (I do not need the extra space of the new disk.)