3651 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Coexisting storage EVA5K and EVA8K on HPUX 11.23

panks
Regular Advisor

Coexisting storage EVA5K and EVA8K on HPUX 11.23

Hi,
I have eva5k attached to my system and securepath is installed in active-passive mode.
root@mrktst0u:/> swlist -l product | grep -i secure
CPQswsp A.3.0F.01F.00F HP StorageWorks Secure Path Device Driver, utilities, and upgrade patch for Active-Passive Disk Arrays

Now as I want to take off EVA 5k from my system and attach EVA8k I need to install the securepath in Active-Active mode, so that both the EVA5K and EVA8K coexist on the system and I can copy the data to EVA 8K and then take off the storage.

I have the CD in which the software is given for securepath to install in active-active mode.

I want to know, is this destructive or anybody have done this before. Because during this process my existing LUN from EVA 5K shd be still exist.
For installing securepath in active-active I need to remove secure path which is there in active-passive for eva5k so will that cause any problem.

Please guide.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Secure Path A/A and A/P can co-exist on the same server without any problems, although I'd advise you to upgrade to the latest patch revs of both products.

Alternatively, if you are using LVM or VxVM don't install Secure Path A/A at all and just use LVM PVlinks or VxVM DMP.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
panks
Regular Advisor

Alternatively, if you are using LVM or VxVM don't install Secure Path A/A at all and just use LVM PVlinks or VxVM DMP.
>>>>

I didn't get this point, yes I am using LVM. So how can I achieve the above task without installing securepath in active-active and using LVM pv links.

Also if I want to install secure path in active-active I need to uninstall secure path in active-passive, am I right?
grahamswilson
Trusted Contributor

I've done exactly this before and it worked fine - i.e. connected an EVA5K (A/P) and EVA8K (A/A) to a 11iv2 server using both the A/P and A/A SecurePath versions side by side.

You do _not_ need to uninstall the A/P mode to install the A/P functionality - as Duncan mentioned, they co-exist well. I think you need to be at least at version A.3.0F.00F.00F, which it looks like you are.

# sudo swlist | grep -i secure
CPQswsp A.3.0F.00F.00F HP StorageWorks Secure Path Device Driver and utilities for Active-Passive Disk Arra
HPswsp A.3.0F.00F.00F HP StorageWorks Secure Path Device Driver and utilities for Active-Active Disk Array

I had the MirrorDisk product installed on this server, so rather than manually copying I just mirrored from a disk presented from the 5K to one from the 8K...
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi

As Duncan has said that SecurePath Activ-active and active-passive can coexist in the system, that means you can go ahead installinf the secureptah active-active easily without the uninstal of the securepath active-passive that is existing.

Also note that ypu upgrade the securepath A/A and A/P to the latest patch levels.

If you are using Fully Licensed and full blown VxVM Product , that has the Feature of the Veritas DMP in that and in that case you shall not have to use the SecurePath A/A or A/P as the function of dynamic load balancing and Multipathing shall be taken care of by the Veritas DMP.

regards
sujit