Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1748056 Members
4895 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Collect Source Code

Collect Source Code

Hello all

Two years ago (or more), when I was still working for HP, I received an internal e-mail talking about a set of scripts/tools developed by an engineer to mimic the " collect" behavior in Linux boxes. Since then, I lost my hard disk (and all e-mails as well).

Is there anyone who have information about this project? I really love to have collect running on Linux (and other platforms as well).

Cheers,
Andreas
8 REPLIES 8
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Collect Source Code

Maybe is not the right place to post this but here is a interesting tool for performance management in linux:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-analyze_aix/index.html
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?

Obrigado Ivan

Na verdade estou procurando os fontes do collect para tentar utiliza-lo em plataformas Solaris e hp-ux obtendo o mesmo output.

Cheers,
Andreas
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Maybe you can poke Rob Urban to see whether he has anything useful still after all those years? Not too long ago I asked him whether he knew about a colgui or other output tool to use collect data on none Tru64 boxes. He thought there had been a port for Linux, but it was tricky with the binary, Alpha style, counters in the database. Of course that would only solve the presenation part. The actualy collect part is more interesting.

Actually, if I had to write something I would strongly consider to make it commpatible with TLVIZ and CSVPNG that the OpenVMS T4 friends use. Handy data, handy gui. OS agnostic (I use it on Windoze and OpenVMS myself) http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/t4/index.html

Poke some ex-Tru64, now Linux folks at HP? (Brian Haley?) Some folks from the good old days might still read comp.unix.tru64? (I never did, but Brian used to, that's why I thought it was ok to mention his name).

If you have no useful connections left, then Email me and I might try some of mine.

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting

Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

I think this has been moved to SourceForge now...check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/collectl/

collectl = Collect for Linux!
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Amazing, 10 or more points to BL Venkatesh. Once I searched for this also and could not find anything.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Ivan! Google doesn't seem to be familiar with collect on linux yet!
Mark Seger
Occasional Advisor

Amazing I stumbled onto this thread! I am the author of 'collectl', which stands for "collect for linux". I had been a collect user for years and after moving to linux felt something like that was needed and so build collectl. The previous link that pointed to http://sourceforge.net/projects/collectl is indeed the place to get it.

collectl is similar to collect but not a 1:1 port as I think I've added a number of features to improve it beyond Ron Urban's original model. When run in --verbose mode you'll see a display style very similar to collect, but the default is 'brief' mode and allows you to see lots of different types of data in the same line. Check it out and I think you'll like it.

And by all means don't be shy about asking any questions on the sourceforge forum. I don't check here very ofter and any responses to this are likely to be missed...

enjoy

-mark
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Have my respect Mr. Mark Seger, and thank you very much.