New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compiling source for the approriate architecture

SOLVED
Go to solution
GBR
Regular Advisor

Compiling source for the approriate architecture

Hello,

I've been working on rebuilding a server and am trying my best to find the appropriate software depots to install, but in a lot of cases I can't find the necessary depots. My question is, if I am resulting to compiling source code because I can't find the depots, how do I best find out what version of source code will fit my machines architecture?

I will be generous with points because I know little about compiling.

GBR
4 REPLIES 4
Pupil_1
Trusted Contributor

That will depend on what source code you trying to complile. Most of the sites will provide that information clearly !!

Please provide details on the source code !
There is always something new to learn everyday !!
Jonathan Fife
Honored Contributor
Solution

Most source code will come with documentation (eg. README) that includes or refers to a list of supported architectures.

There are also typically configure scripts (look for ./config or ./configure) that will query various aspects of your system and set flags for the compiler to use when doing the actual build. Thus, you don't usually have to play guessing games with flags/libraries/etc.

Other than that, just make sure you have any dependencies installed before trying to compile. These should be listed in the included documentation as well.
Decay is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Long before you worry about software versions, you need to have a development compiler installed rather than simply the Bundled C compiler. Your first task will be to install HP ANSI/C or aCC or as a free but generally less desirable option gcc -- all of this assumes that you are building from C source.

After that, you are generally okay with whatever the latest version of a particular application is. If you are downloading from any of the HP-UX Porting Centre's then the pre- and co-requisire software and libraries are listed with the packages.

In almost all cases, you untar the package and run ./configure and then "make" but there should be a README associated with every bundle.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
GBR
Regular Advisor

Thanks. Closed.