System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure LAN interfaces ...... [FAIL]

 
SOLVED
Go to solution
joe comunale
Advisor

Configure LAN interfaces ...... [FAIL]

I am a computer hobbyist and have some experience running DEC unix many years ago. I bought this old workstation b/c I wanted to stay up on unix, it is running the latest os, and it was only $250 with a 22" monitor. So it's home next to my G4, Ubuntu, Multia and NeXT machines.

It is running HP-UX B.11.00 on an HP Model 9000/712/60.

The footnote to this error says:

[quote]
Failed to enter route entry because its interface is not yet initialized."
[/quote]

And it continues:

[quote]
May need to add this route entry with a route command after the interface is up:
add net default: gateway ....1: Network is unreachable
"/sbin/rc2.d/S340net start" FAILED
[/unquote]

So...

1) how do I initialize the interface?

2) I tried 'route add default 1' but the result was "Network is unreachable."

BTW, the text "HP-UX 11.x" does explain the network commands well, but it, and the internet, do not explain how to initialize the nic.

Thanks in advance for any help you may give me.
7 REPLIES
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

Re: Configure LAN interfaces ...... [FAIL]

I suppose lan card itself id not coming up properly.
Can you check with
ioscan -fnC lan

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Configure LAN interfaces ...... [FAIL]

There are many reasons for the NIC to not start. The first is to see if it exists:

ioscan -knfC lan
lanscan
netstat -in
lanadmin -g 0

The important item is whether the LAN card shows S/W state = CLAIMED and not UNKNOWN or NO_HW. If CLAIMED, then you can use sam to configure the LAN card. Another way is to run:

/etc/set_parms initial

Manually, it is done with the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file but there are several related files such as /etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf. But sam or set_parms is much simpler than reading very lengthy manuals.


Bill Hassell, sysadmin
joe comunale
Advisor

Re: Configure LAN interfaces ...... [FAIL]

Here is the result of ioscan and a few other network commands: (NOTE: "" is the first three numbers of the actual IP, and is the hostname for the machine.)

= ioscan =
Class = 0
I = 0
H/W Path = 2/0/2
Driver = lan2
S/W State = CLAIMED
H/W Type = INTERFACE
Description = Built-in Ether

= lanscan =
(has the same info above and PPA = snap0)

= ifconfig lan0 =
inet .104 netmask ffffff00 broadcast .255

= netstat -r =
localhost localhost UH 0 23 lo0 4136
UH 0 128 lan0 4136
.0 U 2 0 lan0 1500
127.0.0.0 localhost U 0 0 lo0 4136

=========================================
joe comunale
Advisor

Re: Configure LAN interfaces ...... [FAIL]

Sorry Bill, there is no option "-g" for the lanadmin command... did you mena "-b"?

I am at the end of running set_parms and am stuck on the NIS domain name as well as its server name (or IP).

How do I find them out?

Thanks for your help.
joe comunale
Advisor

Re: Configure LAN interfaces ...... [FAIL]

I didn't know what to give as an answer to the NIS Domain Name or NIS Server Name, so I did some research using google and I read that the NIS Domain name is decided by me, and the (I think) Server Name can be the same. So I chose something, set them both to that name, and rebooted.

I can now ping google.com, bfgtech.com (they make the PhysX card for my Win XP machine), but not microsoft.com. So I think things are working... of a sort. B/c I have a new problem. While both my hostname and domainname are different, on boot up I get message about how the os is going to use the "short name" ...

I am going to leave it alone for now and play with what I got. I want to install gcc, compile the BOINC source code and run their client on this machine.

If want any more information reply here as I will leave this thread open.

Thanks to you both for your help.

-joe
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Configure LAN interfaces ...... [FAIL]

> Sorry Bill, there is no option "-g" for the lanadmin command...

For 11.00, lanadmin does have a -g option. It was added with patch PHNE_22331, but the current cumulative patch is PHNE_32643. Sounds like your system is in need of major patching. Go to this location to get the last patch bundle (Mar 2004) and download the HWE and QPK bundles.

> m stuck on the NIS domain name

If you don't know about NIS, then you are definitely not using it. This was called Yellow Pages in the old days and was a way to centralize login IDs and passwords. You can disable NIS.

> I can now ping google.com...but not microsoft.com

Absolutely normal -- nobody can ping microsoft.com because ping is blocked due to network security. ping is a primitive method to verify networking and most large companies have a policy to block ping from routers to avoid discovery.

> While both my hostname and domainname are different...

I am assuming you are referring to the hostname command and the domain you set in /etc/resolv.conf. The OS doesn't "use" a hostname -- it translates the name to an IP address using the resolver. The order of name resolution is defoined by the file /etc/nsswitch.conf. Setup yours like this:

passwd: files
group: files
hosts: files [NOTFOUND=continue UNAVAIL=continue] dns
ipnodes: files [NOTFOUND=continue] dns
services: files
networks: files
protocols: files
rpc: files
publickey: files
netgroup: files
automount: files
aliases: files

Now you can add entries top /etc/hosts and they will be discovered before consulting with your DNS provider. Note that your host can have several network names. These can be listed in /etc/hosts.



Bill Hassell, sysadmin
joe comunale
Advisor

Re: Configure LAN interfaces ...... [FAIL]

>> For 11.00, lanadmin does have a -g option.
>> It was added with patch PHNE_22331, but
>> the current cumulative patch is
>> PHNE_32643. Sounds like your system is
>> in need of major patching. Go to this
>> location to get the last patch bundle
>> (Mar 2004) and download the HWE and QPK
>> bundles.

Well, now that it's working I will definitely do that. So that's another question - what is the ftp for this site?? ftp://hp.com??

> I am stuck on the NIS domain name

>> If you don't know about NIS, then you are
>> definitely not using it. This was called
>> Yellow Pages in the old days and was a
>> way to centralize login IDs and
>> passwords. You can disable NIS.

I managed to mess this up last time I played with the machine. In the nsswitch file some of the entries had "nis".

>> Absolutely normal -- nobody can ping
>> microsoft.com because ping is blocked
>> due to network security. ping is a
>> primitive method to verify networking
>> and most large companies have a policy
>> to block ping from routers to avoid
>> discovery.

Yeah, I can imagine hackers would probably bombard MS with as many pings as possible.

> While both my hostname and domainname are different...

>> I am assuming you are referring to the
>> hostname command and the domain you set
>> in /etc/resolv.conf. The OS doesn't "use"
>> a hostname -- it translates the name to
>> an IP address using the resolver. The
>> order of name resolution is defoined by
>> the file /etc/nsswitch.conf. Setup yours
>> like this:
>>
>> passwd: files
>> group: files
>> hosts: files [NOTFOUND=continue UNAVAIL=continue] dns
>> ipnodes: files [NOTFOUND=continue] dns
>> services: files
>> networks: files
>> protocols: files
>> rpc: files
>> publickey: files
>> netgroup: files
>> automount: files
>> aliases: files

As I mentioned above, I removed the 'nis' entries, but also added the ipnodes line. I am still able to ping outside.

>> Now you can add entries top /etc/hosts
>> and they will be discovered before
>> consulting with your DNS provider.
>> Note that your host can have several
>> network names. These can be listed in
>> /etc/hosts.

Currently I have 5 working machines. I would like for them to see each other. I have names for them:
1) sweet (WinXP),
2) macBaby (G4),
3) dog (Ubuntu PC ...needs a cpu fan :( ),
4) hpux1 (HP-UX), and
5) a loaner laptop from the school where I teach physics as an adjunct.

So if I know the IP for each machine, then should I edit /etc/hosts this way?

.101 sweet
.102 macBaby
.103 dog
.104 hpux1
.105 "laptop"

BTW, thanks! If I ever bump into you in a bar, just TRY and pay for your own drinks... :)