HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure remote printer

Configure remote printer

Hi all,
I have a rx6600 server on witch I have installed HPUX 11iv3 Based Operating system.
I have some windows desktop machines with printer connected to them via usb or parrallel port.
Now I want to know is exist a way to send printer job the printer connected to my desktop via the network and how can In done this.
Many Thx for help.
3 REPLIES
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Configure remote printer

On the Windows side, you must add the Unix printing subsystem (not normally present) using Control Panel -> Add/Remove Windows components -> Network file/printServices.

For HP-UX, run the program: smh
Printers -> p-Printers -> printer/plotters

at which point you are now running sam. (be sure you don't select l-printer(new) which is a dead end. Press tab to jump to the File tab, then press a or use your arrow key to select the Actions tab. Select Add Remote printer, then fill in the details:

PrinterName: myUnixPrinterName
RemoteSystemName: WindowsIPaddr
RemotePrinterName: WindowsPrinterName

check the BSD option (yes, it is a BSD printer). The other options as you like.

NOTE: cheap printers may not have the ability to print plain ASCII text and require that you convert your print file to a special raster code. Since there are no drivers for this type of printer, your printer choices may be limited.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Iwan Machfandanurwan
Occasional Visitor

Hi all,
I also have the same issue, but installed the two HPUX systems, should I configure too on the HPUX where printer attached to ?

Another thing, please info the port number for telnet to the printer ? this is to make sure the port is not filtered on Network.

Thanks for helping.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> I also have the same issue, but installed the two HPUX systems, should I configure too on the HPUX where printer attached to ?

It is always better to start a new question so replies to your question will generate email to you and not the author of this post.

If you have a printer on a PC, then both HP-UX systems can use the printer. Just repeat the steps for the seconds system.

> Another thing, please info the port number for telnet to the printer ? this is to make sure the port is not filtered on Network.

A remote printer uses port 515.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin