Operating System - HP-UX
1752788 Members
6049 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Configuring a HPUX 11.3 server as a central syslog receiver/collector...

ECM3
Occasional Contributor

Configuring a HPUX 11.3 server as a central syslog receiver/collector...

I have used a LINUX machine as a local syslog collector host where one or more UNIX OS based servers were configured to forward their syslog informqtion to the remote LINUX host.

Now I have a need to leverage an existing HPUX server in this type of syslog collector role.  I am assuming at this stage that HPUX supports this type of setup/configuration as it is fairly commonly suported in any of the UNIX OS variants I've worked with in the past, so maybe that is the first question.

As noted already, I know how this sort of setup is established/configured with a LINUX server so tobbom line, I'm looking for HPUX doc that explains how to configure syslog on HPUX 11.31 host to accept/receive syslog data from one or more remote LINUX systems (in this case RHEL 6.4) via TCP and/or UDP?

Thanks in advance...

3 REPLIES 3
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

HP-UX is a syslog server by default. Nothing to configure. Use logger on your remote systems to generate test messages (after configuring the syslog conf file to send message to the HP-UX system).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
ECM3
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the insight!....that turn was unexpected but is great to know...Is there any HPUX doc you can point me to that describes this aspect of HPUX administration/setup in more detail? 

In the LINUX world you typically have to make knowledgeable choices for ports, protocols etc. when setting this type of thing up.   The HPUX doc I've come across so far only really seems to address more basic syslog management topics...

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

man syslogd

That's about all there is.

/etc/services is already setup with port 514 and out of the box, HP-UX doesn't block the port 514.

For newer versions of HP-UX, you can replace syslogd with syslog-ng but I don't find the extra effort to replace syslogd adds much value.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin