108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Converting lp -o options to Xerox lp -o options

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Hussey
Advisor

Converting lp -o options to Xerox lp -o options

I have the following HP printer option list and was wondering if anyone knew how to make it work with the newer Xerox printers.

-olandscape -ocs8U -ofs -ofp13.0 -olpi8 -otl62

Printing works fine, after setting up the printers with xpadmin, and using the Xerox "Generic Driver".

OS-HPUX 11.23

TIA
- Rob Hussey
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

Most likely you created the spoolers in HP-UX as remote spoolers. In that case the -o options are not passwd to the xerox printer.

You should create the spoolers as network spoolers (jet-admin type). I don't have access to xpadmin right now so I can not offer anymore details.

Maybe you should use hppi instead of xpadmin.

Refer to http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1302715
Rob Hussey
Advisor

I have tried jet direct and hppi to no avail.
- Rob Hussey
Rob Hussey
Advisor

The -o options I am looking for are to have the ASCII landscape and condensed on the print out.
- Rob Hussey
TTr
Honored Contributor

The hppi spooler type should process the -o options successfully. Not sure where things go wrong. What type printer (script) do you select when you create a network spooler using hppi? Have you tried a laserjet8000 type?

Another approach is to intercept the printout and embed printer escape codes in the printout itself before sending it to the printer and not use any options.

See this thread
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1452406
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor
Solution

The below will all depend on how the printer is connected but hopefully it will give you some ideas.

all the driver files for printers are simply shell scripts, take a look at one of the files in /etc/lp/interface/

if the printer has been configured as a network printer ( NOT remote) then the file in /etc/lp/interface/ is a script that calls up a program to open a network port to the printer then pass the appropriate script and print job to the printer. the printer's driver file is typically located in /etc/lp/interface/model.orig/.

you can edit the driver file to include what ever supported printer options you wish.

read through the script and you will get an idea of what it is doing.

an example might be to print in landscape mode. the command line option is "-o landscape" the script will parse the option and send the printer some escape sequence to set landscape.

make a back up copy of the driver script and then play around with it until you get the results you wish.

Best of luck.