Operating System - HP-UX
1753795 Members
7134 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Converting to secure accounts slowed the system down....

Bolek Mynarski
Frequent Advisor

Converting to secure accounts slowed the system down....

I am experiencing some strange thing which I'm not sure about (that's why I'm posting in this group :-) ). After converting one of our UNIX workstations (series 9000/700) to secure accounts, it takes awefully long time to either log in or log out from the system. Some times it appears hanging. Is it a problem with CDE dealing with such setup or might there be something else I should look at. Sorry for not giving out too much info but at this point I'm not even sure what to look at. I could, of course, convert that machine back to unsecure accounts but I don't want to do it (business reasons).

Does anybody have any suggestions where to start looking?

Thanks.
It'snever too late to learn new things...
4 REPLIES 4
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

When you converted to a Trusted system did you enable auditing? This can greatly slow down a system if not properly configured.

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

If it is everybody, look at the /etc/profile. There may be something in there that is taking awhile for trusted systems.

Also look at the $HOME/.sh_history files. Sometimes these become corrupt and if you move it out of the way and let new ones be recreated, you might get faster responses.

If only some individual users, look at the $HOME/.profile and the $HOME/.sh_history files
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

If you are logging in remotely, the slow-down might be partly due to improperly setup /etc/nsswitch.conf or /etc/resolv.conf.

Some processes require a reverse lookup of the IP <-> hostname ; if your hostnames are not easily available (in DNS) it takes a while to timeout...

-Are you using DNS (are all your hosts listed in DNS)
-if you are using hosts file, you would have to modify the /etc/nsswitch.conf appropriately.

Good luck.
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Bolek Mynarski
Frequent Advisor

O.K. I checked the "auditing" and it wasn't turned on. The only thing turned on was password policies.

I don't have problems loging to the box remotely. It's the local connection that puzzles me (As I mentioned, it's a workstation so it comes right away to CDE environment). No joke here when I say that some times it takes a few minutes after I logged in before I actually get my desktop (the same with exiting).

I will take a look at the other suggestions about possible corrupted files.

I think that DNS wouldn't be the issue here because this box was perfectly alright prior to its converting...
It'snever too late to learn new things...