108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Copying files from one FS to another

Sharma Sanjeev
Respected Contributor

Hi Javed

@
dd if=/dev/vg01/rlvol1 of=/dev/vgtest/rlvol1 bs=1024k; The problem here is my destination LV is 750GB and hence I loose 250GB of space here.

After dd your destination FS will come to 500 GB, but you can just do extendfs or fsadm.
again it will grow upto 750GB, no need to do lvextend just after dd do extendfs or fsadm

Regards
Sanjeev
Everything is Possible as " IMPOSSIBLE" word itself says I M POSSIBLE
Tiziano Contorno _
Valued Contributor

I personally always use fbackup | frecover pipe (it can handle BIG files, permissions, link mamagement, etc.).

Have a look at the man pages, here's my one liner:

/usr/sbin/fbackup -0i /source_path -f - | (cd /target_path && /usr/sbin/frecover -rosvXf -)

Beware that frecover create a directory named as the source in the target (you have to manually mv ..).

Regards.

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

geez. are people still adding to this? and still no points? brutal.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
javedk
Advisor

Sorry I was on holiday and could not assign points. Thank you very much for the response.

The advantage i found with dd is that I can save the time required for backup. I can straight away do a dd and then mount the filesystems and check if it's fine.

I have tried this on my test servers which has Oracle database and it worked fine.

Is the bad block issue mentioned above a real concern.
javedk
Advisor

the saving time I mentioned is compared to using a backup software like DP.

the biggest advantage I found was that I did not have to worry about links. > 2GB files etc.