108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Copying files to/from floppy disk in HP-UX 8.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arttu P├╢nni
Occasional Advisor

Copying files to/from floppy disk in HP-UX 8.0

I have a machine running HP-UX 8.0 and I need to get some files from it to a floppy disk.

1. I'm not certain what is the device name of the floppy drive, how can I check it?
2. Once I know the device name, how can I copy files to the floppy?

Thanks in advance!
13 REPLIES 13
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Copying files to/from floppy disk in HP-UX 8.0

Assuming that the floppy drive is connected to your HP-UX 8.0 (8.0!!!) machine, you should be able to find it in the ioscan output (ioscan -fnCdisk, I think is valid for 8.0). Then you should be able to just copy the files with the cp command.

Pete

Pete
Arttu P├╢nni
Occasional Advisor

I don't think 8.0 (yes, 8.0 ...) has 'ioscan'. I think 'ioscan' was introduced in 9.0
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I've been searching the Forums to find some reference to ioscan and 8.0, but it's so old that no one really seems to remember much. You might try "iomap" rather than ioscan.

Pete

Pete
Arttu P├╢nni
Occasional Advisor

This is weird. I can't find ioscan nor iomap, but I have man pages for them. 'man ioscan' brings up the manual for the command. What's up with this?

Arttu
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

It's probably just not in your PATH. "echo $PATH" to see what is in it, then search to see where it might be. Nowdays it's in /usr/sbin, but pre-10.x had some major file system structure differences, so you'll have to do some detective work.

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I found some documentation on the old file system hierarchy. Try looking in /bin, then /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and /usr/contrib/bin.

Pete

Pete
Arttu P├╢nni
Occasional Advisor

All of those paths seem to be in my $PATH and ioscan isn't there. I also tried 'whereis ioscan' and it returned only ioscan's manpage.

Arttu
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Try to run
swlist -l file | grep ioscan

This should give you a precise location of the file (if swlist exists for 8.0).
If you may reboot the computer, interrupt boot process and investigate its HW staff

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

take a look at the following:

http://www.unixguide.net/hp/faq/5.8.1.shtml

search for "floppy" on that page.

dosls, doscp and so forth *might* work, as it doesn't say what version this is for.

brute force method would be to look at /dev and see what rfloppy devices are defined and try them.