New Discussion юеВ

Create new logical vol on SG cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
dev44
Regular Advisor

Create new logical vol on SG cluster

Hi,

I have created a new logical volume on a SG cluster system. No new disks were added to the volume group or anything, just the lv. I modified the cluster ctrl file (package) on both the primary and alternate nodes to add the LV. I did a "vgexport -p -v -s -m mapfile /dev/vgexp

The problem is when I do a "vgimport -v -s -m mapfile /dev/vgexp on the alternate node, I get the following:

Beginning the import process on Volume Group "/dev/vgexp".
vgimport: Volume group "/dev/vgexp" already exists in the "/etc/lvmtab" file.

So my question is, do I even have to do an import? I assume that I would so that it recognizes the new lv. I can't check if the import worked and the new lv is part of the vg because the vg is inactive on that server (and has to remain inactive).

Thanks,
SD
whatever
2 REPLIES 2
Solution

Re: Create new logical vol on SG cluster

You need to vgexport the vg on the alternate node before vgimporting it. The sequence typically goes like this:

On primary:

vgexport -p -v -s -m mapfile /dev/vgexp

On alternate

ll /dev/vgexp/group

(note down the device minor number 0xNN0000)

vgexport /dev/vgexp

mkdir /dev/vgexp

mknod /dev/vgexp/group c 64 0xNN0000

(using the 0xNN0000 noted before)

vgimport -v -s -m mapfile /dev/vgexp

That should work...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Re: Create new logical vol on SG cluster

Bonsoir,

If you want to re-import the VG on the adoptive node, you must export it before.

A more simple way : if you have not modified VG structure, that is just created a new LV, you can simply create special files under /dev/vgexp. Look at major/minor of block (lvolX) and raw (rlvolX) devices of the new LV under /dev/vgexp on the native node and create them with same major/minor with mknod on the daoptive node.

And yes you can check the VG on the adoptive node : activate it in read-only --> vgchange -a r vgexp. Check what you want, the don't forget to deactivate it after --> vgchange -a n vgexp.

Regards

Eric