5959 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Creating system bootable tape on HP-UX 9000/700

Nahmad_1
Advisor

Creating system bootable tape on HP-UX 9000/700

Hi There

We got very old HP-UX 9000/700 and I created System bootable tapes using following commands as mentioned in man pages;

dd if=/usr/lib/uxbootlf.700 of=/dev/rmt/0mn bs=2k
and
dd if=dev/rdsk/c201d6s0 of=/dev/rmt/0m bs=64k

I could boot from this tape but when I tried to start HP-UX with the command at ISL as under: ISL>hpux boot tape(scsi.3;0) it failed.

I am not sure if the tape was created alright ? I could not try ISL>hpux restore disk(scsi.6;0) as don't have a spare box.

Please let me know what could be done better ?

Thanks in advance

Ahmad
4 REPLIES 4
subodhbagade
Regular Advisor

Re: Creating system bootable tape on HP-UX 9000/700

Hi ,

You can try the ignite backup

(1) Make sure Ignite software installed in server , once it is confirmed then execute cmd as

(2) # /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

This will backup the root VG and makes the tape bootable

(3) Review the log files:
/var/opt/ignite/logs/makrec.log1 #Logs progress reports
/var/opt/ignite/logs/makrec.log2 #Logs an Index of filesets stored on tape

(4) once it is done then you can interrupt the boot sequence and on Main menu search for bootable device as

Main menu > sea

Then boot from tape as
# bo p3 ( p3 is e.g. in your case it may different )

Regards,
Subodh.

Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

I used to run a 700 for lab purpose with me but I had very limited disk in it and I cannot use anymore, decided to give up my workstation, anyway you need ignite if your 700 workstation is capable of doing this in terms of disk size ? if you can afford it issue the following command :

/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -Av

where A specifies the entire root disk or volume group and v is for verbose mode.
TTr
Honored Contributor

> IgniteUX, make_tape_recovery...

Looking at the "201" of the /dev/rdsk/c201 this workstation and igniteUX do not mix. You probably have nothing later than HP-UX 9.01 on it, most likely 8.x

You may be able to try something similar if you booted off the support CD or support tape. Nothing much you can do with this one except put it out of its miseries and get a newer one.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

couple of queries here:
Which OS version is it running?
And are you able to get the workstation booted up?
If it is a version less than 10.x, you should find a command to create a bootable recovery tape, scratching my brain a little seems to let me thing it was call mkrs
try:
man mkrs
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!