4502 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL120G5 running CentOS SATA RAID issues

wobbe
Respected Contributor

DL120G5 running CentOS SATA RAID issues

Hello All,

I've installed CentOS 5.3 on a DL120G5 using the onboard sata raid controller.
After installtion I did not look at the server for a while but when I did I found out that for some reason the raid set had failed. I first suspected HD failure but I'm now pretty sure that is not the case. The server just finished a raid rebuild that took over 4 days to complete. (I use unsupported generic 1.5 TB disks)I understand that the rebuild can also be done online so I installed the HP embeded G5 Sata Raid Controller Manager for Linux. Istalling the RPM finished without problems but starting the StorMan tool gives me the following error. (See attachment)
I'm a windows user so I'm in uncharted waters here. I wish HP put some good info on their site about this subject, maybe it├в s there but I can├в t find it. There are just so many manual and documentations it├в s a bit overwhelming with all those versions and operating systems
Hope you help me out here.

WB
13 REPLIES 13
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Fixed the problem with the folling command.

yum install libXp-1.0.0-8.1.el5.i386

Now the storman tool start but I can't seem to logon. It comes up with a logon window bu when I enter the password it logs the error:

User root could not be logged int nljrsr62
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Even after enabling the RAID function in RBSU, without having the aarahci driver for your running kernel loaded you probably were not really doing anything with RAID.

I haven't ran StorMan for some time, but I don't think it will work properly unless aarahci is loaded

The embedded SATA is a software RAID controller, the aarahci driver is what makes the RAID function.

It is a closed source driver available compiled for specific kernels

RHEL5 x86:

2.6.18-8.el5 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (x86)
2.6.18-8.1.14.el5
2.6.18-8.1.15.el5
2.6.18-53.el5 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Update 1 (x86)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3683232&swItem=MTX-dfebb47310c248b0b65fe31d42&prodNameId=3683233&swEnvOID=4006&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

RHEL5 x86_64:

2.6.18-8.el5 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (AMD64/EM64T)
2.6.18-8.1.14.el5
2.6.18-8.1.15.el5
2.6.18-53.el5 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Update 1 (AMD64/EM64T
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3683232&swItem=MTX-13538d01401c49308460a13b61&prodNameId=3683233&swEnvOID=4004&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Jimmy,

I downloaded that driver but I'm not able to install because I'm running 2.6.18-164.
I was thinking maybe the newer kernel would contain this driver. I think HP documentation about this subject is really bad! It's very confusing expecially when you are used to using smart array controllers on Windows. So I probably need an older kernel and that can't be good I guess?

WB
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Basically you have a couple of options.

Disable the embedded SATA RAID, leave the drives as two single disks and use the software RAID function built into the OS.

Another option is to add in a hardware based HP Smart Array controller. The driver for a Smart Array controller is called cciss and is open source and included in most if not all distributions.

HP Smart Array E200/128 BBWC Controller 411508-B21

and you will also need this cable to connect the drives to the controller

HP Internal SAS/SATA 4-Port Cable 457692-B21

Even if there was a current RHEL5 aarahci driver for the kernel your running now, the next errata kernel update, you would be stuck with the supported kernel until a new driver was built and tested and finally released for the errata kernel

The aarahci driver doesn't ship with any versions of Linux or Windows
wobbe
Respected Contributor

How about the option of installing an older kernel. Is this done/doable? And why doesn't HP have a newer driver version, are they lazy?
I guess if you have a working system you can't do a yum update anymore because it would probaly install an newer kernel version and break the raid.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

So I installed CentOS 5.1 and now I'm running kernel 2.6.18-53.el5. This kernel should be supported by the HP driver. But when I installed the rmp I got all kind of errors. One of the errors is about lilo??
See screenshot for more details.
Is there anyone out there that got this driver working on CentOS 5.1???
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

It's been awhile since I looked at the installer script inside of the RPM, but it's probably giving the error because it's not seeing the correct information, or at least what it considers correct inside the file /etc/redhat-release
wobbe
Respected Contributor

I've allready eddited the redhat-release file. But that was after the initial install.
When I try a rpm -e aarahci I get the same error message and a followinf rpm -Uvh tells me that the package is allready installed.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

you might try

rpm -e --noscripts aarahci-1.4.17015-1