cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL385 G2 server, memory problem.

Zhentian
Occasional Contributor

DL385 G2 server, memory problem.

I installed Linux server at DL585 G2, configur 8 GB memory at the physical server. But in the system, I only found 4GB is used. So confused. Checked the instruction about the memory installation, the way I install is OK.

Could anyone can give me some advice?

Thank you in advance!
2 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: DL385 G2 server, memory problem.

If it's a DL385 G2, note that you must have two physical processors installed to use all 8 DIMM slots. The slots 5C, 6C, 7D and 8D are activated only when two physical processors are present.

This is because of the AMD processor architecture: the memory controller is integrated in the processor, and the system board is wired so that each processor controls four memory slots. When only one processor is installed, slots 5-8 are not connected to any memory controller and cannot function.

See the DIMM population order table on page 47 of the User Guide:
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00778878/c00778878.pdf

If it's a DL585 G2, you have not followed the memory installation guidelines:
DIMMs must be installed in order of decreasing capacity in each of the four memory nodes, i.e. your 2048 MB DIMMs should be at 1A and 2A, not 5C and 6C.

MK
MK
Zhentian
Occasional Contributor

Re: DL385 G2 server, memory problem.

I exchanged memorys according to above suggestion, but problem still. Then we found that the kernal of Redhate do not support the 8G memory. Changed kernal, the porblem solved.

Thanks to MC