Operating System - Linux
1753701 Members
5077 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL585 G1 System Overheating Issue

digriz_1

As I started this thread, thought I would give an update.

We have tried upgrading PSP and BIOS/ILO firmware combinations with no success. Servers still overheat, crash and refuse to boot until they have cooled down. Although physical inspection shows no heat issues

What we have done is "Disable Thermal Shutdown" in Bios Setup and this has stopped the crashes without issue
kiheiman

On a couple of servers, we have disabled the high temperature shutdown in the RBSU and that has stopped the servers from crashing. On those servers, we now see a high temperature alert in the IML and the server continues to work. I guess the temporary fix is to disable the temperature shutdown option in all of our 585G1 servers, but it would be nice to know why this is happening. HP is going to analyze our sosreport to see if they can find anything.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

"What we have done is "Disable Thermal Shutdown" in Bios Setup and this has stopped the crashes without issue"

VERY dangerous amigo...It could fry your server.

Press HP on what the issue is and if it is a bad hp-healthh release or a firmware needing an update to match your new PSP bits.

Hakuna Matata.
Dave.
Valued Contributor

Did you ever get this resolved? Did you upgrade to PSP 8.40 or later?

I found this (update to hp-health driver and wondered if it applies:

"Fixed a problem where if ambient temperature is very low, hpasmlited can incorrectly determine the system is over a temperature threshold and improperly shut the system down."
Link to RHEL 5 x86:-
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=398220&swItem=MTX-2f2a4208241845c485f7a847e6&prodNameId=3288126&swEnvOID=4006&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2
Please let us know the outcome, Dave.
Regards, Dave
Dave.
Valued Contributor

Please ignore my question on how you got it resolved. I missed the answer already posted.

But I would be interested if the hp-health driver update fix I posted has been used by anyone successfully or not.
Regards, Dave
kiheiman2

An update to our current high temp alerts. We had one server that was generating alerts about every day - the thermal shutdown had been disabled. We started the process for upgrading to the 8.40 version System Health Agent (current version was 8.50). By the time we did the upgrade, the alerts had been gone for one month. Very strange. The previous referenced HP Advisory about "the alerts being generated because the server is too cold" is most interesting. We had been looking to see if any server cabinet was getting too hot.