1753726 Members
4830 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT-7000 and SCSI card 28696A

Robin Rehberg
Occasional Contributor

DLT-7000 and SCSI card 28696A

I am having difficulty connecting a DLT-7000 to a HP SCSI 28696A card using HP-UX 10.20. After connecting the tape unit and booting the K460 an ioscan shows the device as UNCLAIMED and there are no associated device files. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?
9 REPLIES 9
Krejci
Occasional Advisor

Do you have stape,tape2 driver linked to the kernel ?
Use SAM to create device files.

Rudo
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi Robin,

For a DLT7000 to be recognized, you need the 'stape' driver in the kernel.
You may use 'sam' to add this driver and recompile the kernel.
After reboot, type 'insf -e' as this will create all necessary device files.

Best regards,

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
Darrel Louis
Honored Contributor

Robin,

Make sure you have the stape patch loaded on your server.
If you install the stape patch, check in the /stand/system file if the stape driver is loaded. If not add it via SAM, Kernel Parameters, drivers, rebuild the kernel and reboot the system.
Also make sure you have the famous patch PHKL_16751 installed on the server + dependencies.

Good Luck
Robin Rehberg
Occasional Contributor

I have all of the required kernel drivers installed and the tape unit works when connected to the HSC bus. I will try the "insf" command and see if that does the trick.
Carlos Uribe

DLT7000/8000 are not supported in HPPB boards (28696A), you have to connect it in HSC/GSC. If you need to boot from DLT, you need HSC. lookup in the Enterprise servers configuration guide.

Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

Just a thought;

If you have more than one device connected to
the PB-Bus, you will most likely require the spt scsi pass-thru driver installed in the kernel as well. I have had all kinds of problems with this in the past on G,H,I and K boxes after doing an upgrade to a new OS.
To the pundits, yes, sometimes it is alright to hang additional devices on a tape chain if they are not simultaneously used.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
Robin Rehberg
Occasional Contributor

I have all of the required drivers and patches loaded. I have attached the DLT7000 as the only device on the 28696A SCSI card. I then ran "insf -e", still no device files. Any other suggestions?
Mike Barron
Occasional Advisor

Alright I don't know if this helps too much, but when I ordered my DLT 80E tape unit I had the same problem, well I called HP and they said that This drive will not work with the SCSI card I was using. Now I have a T box. anyways they said that I needed to order an HSC Card for T600 (part # A3644A). You might wanna give them a call and see if your tape drive needs a certain HSC card for it to recognize. After I received this card I booted up and it recognized fine.
vladimir_1
Frequent Advisor

As I remember this DLT is designed for use on workstations. To use it on servers you need to change a dip switch setting inside the DLT from 7 to 6.

If you need more detailed info let me know.