8297 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DM-Multipath & Friendly Names

Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

DM-Multipath & Friendly Names

Hello everyone,

I'm configuring a RHEL4 system in order to access our SAN disks (XP storage-array). So far, so good. The only problem I'm having is that, after a reboot, the multipath devices are created using their WWID instead of the friendly "alias". I properly configured this in the /etc/multipath.conf file by means of:

"user_friendly_names yes"

The only way to make it work after a reboot is by creating "multipath" entries under the "multipaths" section...but I have to do that for EACH of the disks.

Does anyone knows why wouldn't "user_friendly_names" work?

Thanks,
Jorge
3 REPLIES 3
Zinky
Honored Contributor

RHEL5 here and we also do a lot of alias'ing in our multipath.conf file's "multipaths{}" section. No way around that if you want your SAN Disks to be easily identifiable for whatever needs you may have.

For our very large systems, we script creating the "multipaths{}" block.

We've also adopted certain standard naming conventions for multipath alias names:

/dev/mapper/XP_SAPMASTER_ASM_DATA001
/dev/mapper/NTAP_SAPDSS_ASM_DATA001
/dev/mapper/EVA_SAPMTEST_ASM_DATA001

Works beautifully.
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

On RHEL4 & 5, if your /var/lib/multipath/bindings file is not on the root filesystem (e.g. if you have /var as a separate filesystem), and you're using "user_friendly_names yes", it's very important that you configure an alternate location for the bindings file somewhere within the root filesystem.

The recommended way is to create a directory named /etc/multipath, move the bindings file there and specify the new location in multipath.conf as:

bindings_file /etc/multipath/bindings

See:
https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-17650
(RedHat Network access required)

MK
MK
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Thank you guys for the suggestions. It turned out to be the version I was using. I upgraded to the lastest device-mapper-multipath package (for RHEL4) and it worked properly.

Thanks,
Jorge