Operating System - HP-UX
1753492 Members
5201 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DRD - my target disk changed, and drd clone broke.

Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

DRD - my target disk changed, and drd clone broke.

I had created a DRD clone to a particular IR (sas RAID) device. No issues, worked fine.

I then needed to temporarily re-claim that target device for another purpose. (broke raid set through sasmgr, and then re-created it)

The new IR volume has a different /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ.

Running DRD against this new disk fails with an error:

root@scad5 [/]# /opt/drd/bin/drd clone -v -t /dev/dsk/c40t4d0

======= 10/22/09 08:53:03 CDT BEGIN Clone System Image (user=root)
(jobid=scad5)

* Reading Current System Information
* Locating Inactive System Image
ERROR: Retrieval of DRD registry data fails.
- Validating the DRD registry fails.
- The device special file "/dev/dsk/c21t2d0" cannot be identified in
the system configuration information.

======= 10/22/09 08:53:29 CDT END Clone System Image failed with 1 error.
(user=root) (jobid=scad5)

I was able to work around this by moving /var/opt/drd/registry/registry.xml to a new location, and re-running the DRD command. Is there a supported way to update the registry.xml file?

Can DRD be used to create MULTIPLE boot images to multiple devices? (ie if you wanted to have 3 target disks and rotate through them, so you'd always have N, N-1,N-2 versions?

Thanks,

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
2 REPLIES 2
Mark M. Bunner

This issue has been resolved as of A.3.3.221, the most recent release is available from the download link on this page:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/DRD/

You can create multiple clones providing you remember where they are. DRD only remembers one, so you will not be able to mount, modify, or activate the previous ones.

Mark
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

Odd, but we were on 3.3.221. I upgraded to the most current version. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem, but there do not seem to be any negative consequences to just deleting the registry file that DRD creates.

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)