Operating System - HP-UX
1748122 Members
3400 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Migration from old EMC Storage to new EMC Storage.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Narendra Uttekar
Regular Advisor

Data Migration from old EMC Storage to new EMC Storage.

Hi,
We are going to replace the old EMC Clariion CX500 storage to new higher capacity EMC Clariion CX240.
I want to know what are the various method for Data Migration from old storage to new storage. I have found that EMC-SAN-Copy array based tool for data migration, I want to know that how does it works does i need to configure the new EMC storage create LUN's and make available them to the HP-UX Host and then use the tool to migrate data(LUN Copy) or i can just create the LUN's on the new Storage and then do the data migration(LUN Copy) without making the new LUN's availabe to HP-UX Host and once the Data Migration(LUN Copy) is done then make the LUN's available to HP-UX Host.Because on some of our HP-UX servers we have only single Fibre Channel Card. And also i have found that the EMC-PowerPath-Migration-Enabler please can anyone explain how does it works for data migration as do we have EMC power-path installed and configured on all our HP-UX servers?

Thanks,
Narendra
7 REPLIES 7
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1396508

please see your own above thread, you have already asked this Question
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

all solutions have some question before,

data migration will online / offline ???

do you have MirrorUX ???

do you like have the same size of the prezented luns ( old/new storage ) ???

mikap
Narendra Uttekar
Regular Advisor

Hi Johnson...In my earlier thread i had talked about different method not about this tools i.e. EMC-SAN-Copy and EMC-PowerPath-Migration-Enabler.

And Mikap please find the answers as below,

data migration will online / offline ??? - offline

do you have MirrorUX ??? Yes

do you like have the same size of the prezented luns ( old/new storage ) ??? Yes

Thanks,
Narendra
Md. Minhaz Khan
Super Advisor
Solution

Dear Narendra,

If u have Mirror/UX then attached file will help u. If u have EMC support then they will user open migrator for storage migration. If u want the action plan to migrate ur storage using open migrator then i can give u. But at first see the attached file what we have done to migrate our Storage (CX-340) to DMX4.

Thanks
Minhaz
Narendra Uttekar
Regular Advisor

Hi Minhaz...thanks a lot for info.But I do have limitation of MAX PV in VG to 16. And PV i can add is only 2 more. So i can't used
the Mirror/UX for data migration.

Please let me know how does the open migrator works for data migration is it similar to EMC-PowerPath-Migration-Enabler?

And also if you have any idea about the EMC-SAN-Copy array based tool how it works?

Thanks,
Narendra
Md. Minhaz Khan
Super Advisor

Dear Narendra,

For storage migration, Please call EMC for their support. During our storage migration, EMC engineer user open migrator.

I have attached that action plan with this thread. If you have any query related to that doc, please let me know.

Thanks
Minhaz
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

Hi Narenda,

We do regularly offline storage migrations as the leasing for our current XP boxes are over. Here is my short checklist, maybe it could help you:

http://viktorbalogh.net/blog/hp-ux/hp-ux_sysadm/migrating-a-serviceguard-cluster-to-another-storage
Unix operates with beer.