108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Data Migration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Data Migration

I have to do a data migration for an Application residing in server with OS HP-UX 11.11 from Server A to server B.

What are the steps I need to follow..wat could be the questions I need to ask the App team.

Please help me out with the other Inputs I need.... This is the first time I will be doing a data migration..
45 REPLIES 45
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Data Migration

Hi:

Even before you engage the Application group, you need to answer questions like:

Are the physical disks that hold the application and/or its data moving from A-to-B or do you need to copy data from A-to-B?

Are both servers attached to a common SAN?

Is the operating system environment identical on A-and-B or will you need to recompile and/or relink executables on the new server?

Regards!

...JRF...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> I have to do a data migration

Just not enough information. Does the data have to be reformatted or translated during the migration? Or is this nothing more than changing servers? You'll need most of your information to be provided by the project manager in order to coordinate the actual tasks.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the responce...

This is a data migration from Location A to Location B,the OS remains same & the new server will again be similar to the existing one...

The OS will be Imaged is all the Info. I have till now..

There are several Applications running in this server. So for one perticular application what are the things I should take care of ...

I am planning to prepare a checklist which will help me to do this from the server perspective as well as from the application perspective..

plz help
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

I would like to reframe my question...

My job is to migrate the server and the applications running on it from Location A to Location B..

Before the actual Migration, I have to prepare a checklist like a step by step procedures to migrate a Server/Application.

Wat r the questions I need to ask or wat r the steps...

plz help
Roopesh Francis_1
Trusted Contributor

Grayh,

1.You need to check both servers are in same san so that you can indentify the method of data migration. It could be storage cut over or something like using open migrator or time finder.(possibility of backup and restore also you check)
2.you need to check the file systems details. what are file systems you need to move.
3.you need to check is there any dns entries related to application.
4,you need to ensure file systems in source server is not exist on target. if those are already in target you have to find the solution for merging them(or can you use different mount point).
5.need to check for software dependencies.
6.You need to check for application related user names and groups

Thanks
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

frans,

Thanks for thee immediate reply..

I still have some doubts.. I do not know where to start from or how to start as I have never done a migration before..

Could you help me with some document or pdf so that I can understand the Issue much better.. so that I can ask my questions properly..

And with the help of u guys may be complete the migration....
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Hi Grayh,

You got me confused now by the time that you re-frase your question. Are you going to get a new server on lacation B or are you going to move the whole server to location B?

Moving the whole server is the easiest way to approach the problem:
-On location B you need to make sure that you got all the neccessary infraestructure to run the server, connectors, structured cable connections, routers, switches, UPSs, same voltage, network jacks, etc.

-Make sure that you remember how cables were connected in your server so that they are connected the same way on the remote location.

-If you are using a different subnet on the other location, make sure that you document IP changes, subnet masks, gateways, etc.

-Make sure that you have a backup plan just in case something goes wrong.

-Make sure that you have all your contacts handy and migration documented, service contact number for HW repairs, contacts at the response center for possible SW support.

If the migration is at the SW level, then there are way more changes involved, and until we go exactly the configuration you have problably will be difficult to think what is it that you need exactly.

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

The Question before any other:

Is your data residing on a local or locally connected hard disk or on a SAN, connected most probably by a fiber optic SAN fabric ? In other words, do both server A and server B have access to the same disk drives or their storage is totally different as in a physically separate location. ?

depending on the answer to this question, a proper method can be suggested.

If you are not sure, please provide output of the command

ioscan -fnC disk

from both servers. You can put both outputs in a text file, clearly separated and attach that file to your answer.

Jaime,

Thanks for the Immediate responce...

We are actually Relocating the data centers from location A to Location B...

In this process of relocating we are also asked to do a Server consolidation.

Now I am asked to prepare a Pre-server Migration chicklist in the application perspective.. like sibel application is running on two different quest servers and now I have to implement it on intrigity blade servers...

So the checklist should include how to.. wat are the requirements.. or wat questions I need to ask the application team ....