New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Migration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Bill,

Backup? Absolutely. On a tape? How much data do you have?

>>> There are around 400 servers all together of which 160 are HP servers & rest from Sun & IBM..

>>>When we say Backup in this Server Consolidation process.. wat all do we backup.. I know tar..cpio..dump / rdump / ufsdump... but in an environment as huge as this wat r the other options

>>>When we say Imaging... wat do we do exactly.. are there any tools for Imaging..

Do any of the applications or databases use raw disks (disks without any files)?

>>>how do I find the raw disks

Now the details are very dependent on the amount of data on your disks.

>>>I do not have this info yet as I do not have access to the servers.. Could you please advise me on the info that I need to gather or more frankly need to ask which is needed for this please...

While doing some "google" and searching "itrc web" I found the following helpful(I want to keep a record of this entire Data Center Consolidation Process here if the Moderators don't mind..)

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1248055726718+28353475&threadId=133823

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=953007

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=133823

from the above I have some doubts.. like what all information should I ask for and I "Should & Must have"...like from thee

>>> Application point of view..
>>> Server point of view..

>>> I have around 200 Applications spread over these servers

>>> Is this process of Migration same over Solaris & Aix.. If so what are the areas I should be careful on...

>>>Please advise on the areas I need to include in my pre-migration checklist which will help me during the actuall migration itself..

Roopesh Francis_1
Trusted Contributor

If it is one application or 200+ applications, there will not many changes in each migrations.
Since you are taking regular backup, I do not think you need to take full backup of entire machines which you planned to migrate.
Since you are planning to do ignite backup most of the configuration part will be taking care (I am wondering even though you got a opportunity to migrate/consolidate old systems but you still stick with HP UX 11.11). You just need to tune your new environment according to the applications.
Since you planned to move SAN to new DC, I think you got the method of migration which is here definitely storage cut over.
As mentioned in my previous posts, please make a check list.

Thanks,
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"If it is one application or 200+ applications, there will not many changes in each migrations."

uh...did you notice the part where he said the underlying network, including IPs and gateways was going to change as well?

"Since you are taking regular backup, I do not think you need to take full backup of entire machines which you planned to migrate."

I'd still get at least a solid full backup immediately prior to the migration.

"Since you are planning to do ignite backup most of the configuration part will be taking care "

right, with the "old" networking info. each server will required at least some configuration if the ip's are changing.

"(I am wondering even though you got a opportunity to migrate/consolidate old systems but you still stick with HP UX 11.11). You just need to tune your new environment according to the applications."

make sure the "new" hardware is supported in 11.11. If you plan to move up OSes as well, make sure any commercial software you have will run on the newer OS.

Roopesh Francis_1
Trusted Contributor

>>Oldschool. uh...did you notice the part where he said the underlying network, including IPs and gateways was going to change as well?
Right, I noticed that also. I meant say network configuration part is applicable for each and every migration. He need to take care of that in every migration. if it is 200+ migrations or one migration, he HAS to ....!!!!!!!.He need to concentrate on each and every migration.
Thanks
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

I have an Application "SAP" running on two differeent Production Servers servers which will also be migrated(Physically)...

What are the things I need to take care while moving these servers other than the networking stuff...

How much downtime do I need to take to bring these servers down...

What will be the impact...

Grayh
Trusted Contributor

The Application "SAP" is on two different servers connected to two different SAN devices and same OS on both the servers(rp7400 & L2000)..

Can I take a Backup of this Application on both the servers & then shutdown the servers and take them to the new location or what are the other things I need to take care of
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>>> There are around 400 servers all together of which 160 are HP servers & rest from Sun & IBM...

Wow -- this is NOT a server A to server B project. I would strongly recommend hiring a consultant or two that specialize in consolidation. For 400 servers and no information yet, I would plan for a 4-5 month project.

>>>I do not have this info yet as I do not have access to the servers.. Could you please advise me on the info that I need to gather or more frankly need to ask which is needed for this please..

There simply is no easy set of questions and answers. Consolidation usually means reducing the server count and sizing the new boxes to handle multiple applications. That's a lot of testing and investigation. If you get the numbers wrong, the consolidated applications may have terrible performance. I assume that you already have a system architect to define the new servers and the consolidation matrix.

>>>When we say Backup in this Server Consolidation process.. wat all do we backup.. I know tar..cpio..dump / rdump / ufsdump... but in an environment as huge as this wat r the other options

Unix systems all have native backup tools like tar, cpio...NONE of which are appropriate to an enterprise quality backup. If the data is not very important, you can use tar or cpio. Otherwise, you may have well over 1000 tapes to properly document and restore to the correct servers. You need a backup program that labels every tape electronically and tracks the contents and dates in a database so there won't be any mistakes. The best tool for this many different platforms is Data Protector (from HP).

>>>When we say Imaging... wat do we do exactly.. are there any tools for Imaging..

Imaging is a fuzzy term but usually means restoring the operating system so the server can be booted up. For HP-UX, this is Ignite/UX. For AIX it is called mksysb. Sun is probably JumpStart, but each OS has some unique features for bootable media.

> Do any of the applications or databases use raw disks (disks without any files)?
>>>how do I find the raw disks

There is almost nothing in the OS to identify raw disks. This is why you have application and database administrators. They are the only people that will know about raw disks -- and hjow to back them up. Data Protector will handle raw disks with Oracle, Sybase, Informix, etc, backup interfaces into the databases.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Thank you Bill...

Does anyone has a Post Migration Checklist... I mean like a format for the Pre-Migration & a Post Migration Checklist.. like wat all things to Include in it...

Can you guys share it with me plz...

Thanks
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

1. did the server come up without any errors ? (duuh point)
2. are all your SAN volumes visible via ioscan
3. are all other peripherals report CLAIMED in ioscan
4. are all networks up and ping their default gateways successfully.

If all of the above were answered yes, then it is time to fire up the applications and see if they can do what they need to. After a big move like yours (and soon mine), it is not uncommon to find apps not working properly due to some (mostly) networking/firewall issues. As you know, today's systems almost never work alone. They need to exchange data with other systems, mainly through network and if network is not set up properly, the application will suffer. There is no way to tell what these failures will be. So you will play by ear as they come and cross your fingers and pray that there will not be too many of those.

I have not yet migrated the servers yet..

What would be the best way/method to move data from HP and AIX boxes... Are there any tools like Platespin which I use for Windows...

Plz Advise