1753258 Members
5105 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data transfer between unix and window

OldSchool
Honored Contributor

one thing to be aware of if you are dealing w/ plain text documents, is that the line terminators are different between unix and pcs.

ftp ascii mode transfers handle this, translating between the OSes for you, while the other methods don't. HPUX has ux2dos and dos2ux, so you can make the tranlations yourself.

another method to consider would be to install Windows Services for Unix (SFU), which includes NFS, allowing you to mount Windows shares on UNIX as well.

if it's a specific set of files that need ot be kept in sync, rsync is available for unix and windows.

As noted, there are many methods to accomplish this. as presented, the question is too broad to give you a single, specific "this is best" answer
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] which method [...] is the best one ?

Define "best".
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

If I am getting your requirement right, the keyword is "precisely" so you need to track if all files which need to be copied are copied and they copied right, is, what you need to know and be able to audit. Is that right ? For auditability of file transfers, none of the methods mentioned in this thread will help you or at least not without a lot of afterwards work.

If you need to show the logs to someone that files have been transferred to their destinations correctly and fully, you will need another solution like NDM, short for Network Data Mover, since then changed name to something I can not remember. It is available on almost all modern and non modern OS platforms. But it is not free. As a matter of fact their new licensing is pretty drastic what I heard. You might want to check into something like this.

Let's clarify...

Samba will give you the ability to access the SAME file from both UNIX and windows. Basically CIFS. It is not a copy of the file between servers - it is the same file that both platforms can access.

SCP is secured copy of a file to the remote server, i.e. now two copies of file. If set up properly, this could be an automated file copy (without password intervention), by setting up SSH certificate/keys properly.

FTP, same number of copies without anything encrypted/secured when transferred between servers. Password required, unless scripted with password included in script (very unsecure!).

So...YOU need to asses what you are trying to achieve and you must decide the best option. And remember, what is not important to be secured today - likely will include something tomorrow changing that rule. IT - everything always changes - so always plan for it before they ask for it.

Regards,
Rita
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] For auditability of file transfers,
> none of the methods mentioned in this
> thread will help you or at least not
> without a lot of afterwards work. [...]

Define "a lot".

Even using FTP, it should be possible, even
easy, to transfer a file, transfer it back,
and compare the result with the original.
That would seem to me to be pretty reliable
assurance that it got there intact.

There are also checksums, and many other
possibilities.

With no actual information on the amount of
stuff to transfer, the network speed, the
time requirements, the software available on
both systems, possible ways to access each
system, which system is pulling or pushing
the files, whether modification date-times
need to be preserved, and many, perhaps
dozens, of other mysteries, I hesitate to
waste my time suggesting any particular
method in detail.
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Among scp, ftp, samba- scp is best because it is more secured for file transfer from one host to another host.

ftp is normal file transfer from one host to another host.

samba is easier for file transfer.

Rgds//
Taifur
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] please ignore the security issue as
> the data is not sensitive [...]

> [...] scp is best because it is more
> secured [...]

Sigh.
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

i think better we should wait for heaman1 reply before giving any more suggestions :), thanks,