6021 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Database migration from PA-RSIC to Itanium servers

Jagadesh_2
Regular Advisor

Database migration from PA-RSIC to Itanium servers

Admins,

We are in the process of migrating the databases (Oracle 10G) from PA-RISC 11.11 to Itanium 11.31 servers.

I would like to know how we will backout after migating the database (Oracle 10G) from PA-RISC to Itanium.

Will the archive files generated on Itanium can be used for backing out to PA-RISC with no data/transaction loss?

Also if you can share your experience / documentation for migration.. it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: Database migration from PA-RSIC to Itanium servers

hi,

check this link :

http://www.oracle.com/global/tw/seminars_and_events/2002event/pptfile/Frank_Lin_1.pdf

its older but there are lot of other link.

mikap

Tor-Arne Nostdal
Trusted Contributor

You could always migrate back again - but you should anyhow test your specific scenario in your environment before you start moving your production systems.

Theory and Practice is not always the same, you might have missed one document which someone will be very fast pinpointing when something have went wrong...

We did this migration some years ago - very successful, moving several reasonable large SAP db's from a site in one country to another and at the same time migrating from PA-Risc to Itanium (changed platform, hostnames, IP-addresses, consolidated several systems into same servers...)

Can't see why you would want to go back again ;)
I'm trying to become President of the state I'm in...
Jagadesh_2
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I am looking to have solution in place for moving it back to PA-RISC if we encounter any issues after running the database in Itanium for a day or so.

We would anyway retain the PA-RISC server with the data, hence during backout will it be possible to use PA-RISC server again and apply the archive files generated from 11.31 (Itanium) filesystem layout 6 to 11.11 (PA-RISC) filesystem layout 4?

Migration will go smooth.. but incase of any issues we need to have answer for above solution.

Thanks