Operating System - HP-UX
1748201 Members
3020 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

De-coupling OLD MC Service Guard from SAN.

Dave_Z

De-coupling OLD MC Service Guard from SAN.

I've inheritted a pair of servers that are a bit of a mess and its been a while since I've worked with HPUX.

I have 2 servers that at one point used to be clustered using MC Service Guard.  MC Service Guard is still installed but no longer running.  The two servers are still sharing the same SAN disks.  Both servers are still in production.
There are 29 SAN disks that need to be migrated to a new SAN.   However, I would like to "break the cluster" first on current SAN so I don't have to carry over this design to new SAN.  Server A only needs to see 19 disks.  Server B needs to see the other 10.  

Current SAN is an EMC CX4-960.  Both servers are in the same storage group.  EMC won't allow a host to belong to more then one storage group.    

Here's how current Storage Group Looks:

serverA-ServerB-StorgeGroup
Hostnames: ServerA, Server B.
Luns:  29 Luns.

I would like to get this:

ServerA-StorageGroup     
Hostname: ServerA
Luns: 19 Luns

ServerB-StorageGroup
Hostname: ServerB
Luns: 10 Luns

My current high level thinking is this:
1) vgexport volume groups that are no longer needed.   
2) 'rmsf -H' devices no longer needed on both servers.
3) 'powermt check' on both servers to clear dead paths 
2) Shutdown both servers. 
3) Create a new storage group an current SAN.
4) Take Server B out of current storage group and place it in new storage group.
5) Remove 10 luns from current storage group and place them in new storage group. 
     When I'm adding luns to new storage group, I will add them using the same host lun id that was being used in the old storage group.
     My thinking or "hope" is that when the server boots up the device names will stay the same and not be renamed/rediscovered.
6) Boot server

Does above plan seem okay?   What am I missing?  Should I run a vgcfgbckup prior or make backups of /etc/lvmtab?

How would you guys do this?

Thanks,

Dave