1745871 Members
4281 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Debian 6.0.6 64-bit Install on Proliant ML110 G7

Labman
Visitor

Debian 6.0.6 64-bit Install on Proliant ML110 G7

When installing Debian 6.0.6 64bit after the option to boot using DVD/CD all i get is a blank black screen with a blinking white cursor. I also have a DVD for Debian 5.0 32bit and when I try that the installer runs well. What could be causing this to happen with the 64bit installer?

5 REPLIES 5
Goran Koruga
Honored Contributor

Re: Debian 6.0.6 64-bit Install on Proliant ML110 G7

Hello.

Try various kernel options mentioned in the help screens (select "Help" at boot prompt and then press F# keys as listed).

Regards,

Goran

Labman
Visitor

I don't even get a kernel chooser option. As soon as it starts reading the disk it brings a black screen with a little white cursor that blinks at the top left corner of the screen.

Goran Koruga
Honored Contributor

Hello.

That's interesting - they both use ISOLINUX as loader on CD-s.  I really have no useful advice other than to try some different boot method (USB would probably be the easiest).

And you're sure you have used the correct ISO image? What's its filename?  Or if you have a download link that will do as well. The most common problem people do is they take IA64 ISO image for systems with an Intel x64 CPU - that's wrong, you need to use the AMD64 ISO image.

Regards,

Goran

Labman
Visitor

I downloaded this ISO:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.6/ia64/iso-dvd/debian-6.0.6-ia64-DVD-1.iso

It is indeed the IA64 series as I thought the Intel 64 would be right for server as it comes with and Intel i3 core processor. Let me download the AMD64 ISO and try that. Will let you know if that works.

Regards,

Labman

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>It is indeed the IA64 series

This is the name for Itanium or HP's Integrity servers.