8708 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Defrag /usr

SOLVED
Go to solution

Defrag /usr

Hi,

Tivoli our monitoring tool reported that /usr is fragmented. Is there a tool that comes with HP-UX that will defrag an FS? I don't think there is. If not is there a freeware tool someone could recommend?

I did a dfrag a few years ago and I don't remember what commands I used. I do remember it hosed the FS. What are the risks to defraging?

System Info
HP-UX 11.11
L2000

# grep /usr /etc/fstab
/dev/vg00/lvol7 /usr vxfs delaylog 0 2

# bdf /usr
Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
/dev/vg00/lvol7 1245184 1090632 154552 88% /usr

The system hasn't been patched in two years.
7 REPLIES 7
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

fsadm has a defrag (reorganize extents) option (-e) and a directory reorganization option (-d). The -E option gives an extent fragmentation report. I think these are only activated if you have OnlineJFS.
--
Jeff Traigle
john kingsley
Honored Contributor

If you have online JFS, you can use the fsadm command:

fsadm -d -D -e -E /usr

No unfortunately there's no online JFS.

Are there other ways to defrag?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

No. You could backup the filesystem, umount it, run newfs, and restore. Regardless of what Tivoli reports, in almost all cases the performance gains from defragging a vxfs filesystem are difficult to measure much less actually perceive. However, get yourself a baseball and hit yourself over the head because no production HP-UX system should be without OnlineJFS.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
john kingsley
Honored Contributor

The only other way that I'm aware of it to backup and restore the filesystem.

It seems odd that /usr has become fragmented though. It should be a fairly static filesystem.

Even without Online JFS, you should still be able to generate the fragmentation reports by running:
fsadm -D -E /usr

Ok thanks for the info. I think I'll pass on the defrag. It isn't worth the time now that I know what is involved.

Online JFS would be nice to have. If I had built the system it would have it.

Solution found