1752402 Members
5736 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Destroying data permanently from old disks

Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

And where classifed information needs to be erased, you will want to use a wipe utility that is DoD Compliant.

Cheryl
"Downtime is a Crime."
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor

Adding to the other responses (and pointers given in those responses):

Do *not* use mediainit! mediainit *may* make the disk *less reliable*, but you won't *know* one way or the other.

The "Why?" is rather long. If you really want to know, search on "mediainit" and my name and you should find some pointers. If not, do the same search on Google Groups.
Robert R. Colp
Advisor

Martti-

You might consider checking the link:

http://www.lat.com

They have a program called unishread that might meet your requirements. I have not used this product, but based upon the write up on the site, it should serve your purposes.

We purchased a system with an external SCSI Hard Drive for classified information, then never used it!

Good luck.

Bob
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Well, speaking of burning the disks, you gotta make sure you do it well... I've heard a story where some building of a company in Finland caught fire, and up went the computer room.

Apparently they were so interested in just one disk, which was badly fire damaged (warped + melted) that they paid a small fortune to have the data restored... I guess they must have moved the heads manually.. in any case, moral is: be a real man, use a needle an magnet!

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

We use a portable degausser to erase old disks and tapes before they leave the company.

HTH
Marty
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

LOL !
It works for me (tm)
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Bill,

It may be funny, but it is also scary. We have had operators bring down the wrong systems, use the wrong tapes for backups and type in the wrong year for a time changes. Scary stuff!

Marty
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

This suggests to bolt a heavy 2 meters chain to the floor an tie the other end to the degausser, so it can only be moved in its designated area :-)
Volker
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

I'd suggest tying it to the operator and sending him fishing...

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Actually the degausser is no in the data center, but the warehouse. It is used prior to packing for shipment.

Marty