Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine last time fsck was run on filesystem

Raynald Boucher
Super Advisor

Determine last time fsck was run on filesystem

Hello all,
I experienced a very long delay a while back while booting up a Linux RH5.x server.

It determined that a remote filesystem hadn't ben verified in over so many days and decided to run fsck on 80GB of data.

I'm trying to find out when that was but the boot log got cycled out.

Is there a log left somewhere by fsck?
Otherwise, is there a way to determine the last time fsck was run against a filesystem?

Thanks

RayB
3 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Determine last time fsck was run on filesystem

You can use:

dumpe2fs -h /dev/

Check for the record "Last checked".

But, i'm not understanding your problem. You are talking about "remote filesystems" and delayed boot. Why do you think that is related to file system check needs?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Raynald Boucher
Super Advisor

This server is part of a VM farm.

When the server wasn't coming back up, I logged in through VSphere and saw a message that cifs filesystem x hadn't been verified for so many days (180 maybe) and a forced fschk had been started.
The server came up normally after the fsck completed.

I'm trying to determine why this happened as the fstab entry for this filesystem has a zero in column 6 (ie do not verify).
Additionally, I'd like to get an idea of when this will happen again as we patch this system monthly.

RayB
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

There are two options that will force the fsck, the mount count and fsck interval. You could use tune2fs -i 0 -c 0 to disable fsck.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?