Operating System - HP-UX
1753971 Members
7777 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Device files are not being created when SAM is used to raise kernel parm nstrtel.

Device files are not being created when SAM is used to raise kernel parm nstrtel.

Hello collegues....

In the past, 11.11, when sam was used to increase nstrtel, it would run insf automatically to create necessary devices files to match new kernel setting. However,with 11.23, when using sam or kcweb, those device files are not being created automatically. Even the 11.23 man pages for nstrtel has the following quote:

"Once the value of nstrtel is raised, insf should be run to create new device files. (If SAM is used to raise the value of nstrtel, insf is run automatically.)"

Is this a bug? Has anyone else experience this? Am I missing something?

BTW...I've checked patches, and don't see any.

I appreciate your inputs in advance.

Thanks,
Brad

2 REPLIES 2
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Device files are not being created when SAM is used to raise kernel parm nstrtel.

Hi Brad:

I can't speak to 11.23 since I'm not yet running it. However, to build the necessary files, do (for example):

# insf -d tels -s 300

Regards!

...JRF...

Re: Device files are not being created when SAM is used to raise kernel parm nstrtel.

That process still works. That's what I did to create the files after a reboot, and we found out the devices where not created.

Original question still remains, "Why doesn't sam create them for you automatically as documented?"