4601 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Diagnostic system warning

NicolasP
Visitor

Diagnostic system warning

Hi,

I tried to boot my machine but it doesn't boot well and I obtain the next error's message :

LVM: vg[0]: pvnum=0 (dev_t=0x1f001000) is POWERFAILED

DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM WARNING:

The diagnostic logging facility has started receiving excessive errors from I/O subsytem. I/O error entries will be lost until the cause of excessive I/O logging is corrected.

If the diaglogd daemon is not active, use the Daemon Startup command in stm to start it.

If the diaglogd daemon is active, use the logtool utility in stm to determine which I/O subsytem is logging excessive errors.

I tried to use the logtool command from a keyboard connect to the device but it doesn't seem to react when I use a command. It just go to the next line when I type "enter" without any additional information. I tried other commands (diaglogd, fcmstull, run cstm) with the same result.

I don't know how to do to check where is the problem and, maybe, try to fix it.

Can someone please help me ?

Thanks,

Nicolas

9 REPLIES 9
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

The line tells you the device that could be causing the problem:

LVM: vg[0]: pvnum=0 (dev_t=0x1f001000) is POWERFAILED

"powerfailed" means that LVM lost connectivity wtih that disk.  The disk is c0t1d0 and is a part of VG00.  Since you are also getting the diagnostic errors, the disk is probably causing other issues on the SCSI bus.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
NicolasP
Visitor

I understand more what the problem is, thank you.

I'm still wondering if I can fix the problem. Must I replace the disk ? Or is it possible that a cable causes this issue ?

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

It is possible that its a cable issue, but its more likely a disk issue.  Look at info such as "ioscan", STM Infologs, and other syslog messages to see if you have any other messages related to this.  If this disk contains mirrored volumes you can deconfigure it and then remove it to see if the problems go away.

Here is a good document when dealing with disk failures.:

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01911837&lang=en-us&cc=us

-Bob

----------------
NicolasP
Visitor

Thanks for the document, I'm reading it right now.

But I can't use any command on the machine. because it still does a task and I can't stop it. The "CTRL" key on my keyboard is actually understand like a "Caps lock" key by my computer. But it's not switchable. I tried all my keys and no one seems to be a "CTRL" key.

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I must have missed your comments about the console not responding to commands...

As the failing device is part of VG00, the system may be hung up on locked up I/O requests.  If you cannot get to the console or any terminal session, you will have to crash the system to reset it (TC command from the MP Command Menu).  After that, hopefully the data is intact and you are able to boot from the other disk (assuming root volumes are mirrored??).

EDIT:  If you know the root volumes are mirrored, you could try to just pull the problematic disk from the system.  The system may recover enough for you to interact with it.

-Bob

----------------
NicolasP
Visitor

I succeed in enter in the command menu, but i can't use any command. The reason is my machine doesn't detect the keyboard which is connect to the extern port. The only keys I can use are the keys implanted in the carcass of the device. These keys are all the chiffres and letters "y" and "n" (and the "enter" keys). I don't know how to do with only these keys...

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

"The only keys I can use are the keys implanted in the carcass of the device."

I do not understand what you mean here.  What type of system is this and what are you using for a keyboard and console?

-Bob

----------------
NicolasP
Visitor

My system is an optical spectrum analyzer.

There is a PS/2 port behind the machine so I connect a computer keyboard on it. But it seems useless in the command menu. It seems like the port is inactive at this step. So I can only use the keys on the system itself.

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

One that runs HP-UX?  Interesting...then I guess I am not sure how to help.  Is there a serial port that you can connect a terminal to?  Perhaps that will give you more control.

-Bob

----------------