New Discussion юеВ

Re: Discover PC ip address via putty when connected to HPUX server

SOLVED
Go to solution
eric lipede_1
Regular Advisor

Hi

I purposely left out that I was multi-hopping. I wanted to see if anyone had gotten over that problem. Thanks for all the help. It would be great if a single putty sign-on was all the link there was. Ill leave the thread open for a few days to see if anyone cracks the route back to source for the IP....
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

I think it would have been more helpful to start with multi-hop. Since there are many ways to connect and no guarantee that the same protocol (telnet, ssh, rlogin, etc) will be used between hops, the only technique is to carry the originating IP with each hop. The only way I know how to do this is with telnet. There is a little known (but sometimes frustrating) option in telnet that carries the current value of TERM to the next destination. So you could do something like this:

TERM=10.11.12.13 telnet nexthop

You'll have to capture $TERM at the top of /etc/profile and save it off for the next hop.

Or run multiple single sessions. I can't tell you how many sysadmins accidentally shutdown the wrong server due to server hopping. I routinely have 5 to 10 PuTTY sessions, all with unique colors using either Connection Manager or Session Manager.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> I purposely left out [...]

Brilliant.
eric lipede_1
Regular Advisor

of course, the issue was finding a robust way of finding a solution (not tailored to a specific scenario).
Any good SA would and should know this. ..and I humbly accept your accolade ;-)