1752577 Members
4813 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Wipe Utility

swatjason
Occasional Contributor

Disk Wipe Utility

Does anyone know of any disk wipe utilities which will create a boot disk/cd that can be used to wipe all disks in an alpha/tru64 machine? If there are none that will create a boot disk/cd, then at least a utility that I can run from the system itself to wipe partitions and directories?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
swatjason
Occasional Contributor

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You can boot with the installation cd, and select "Unix Shell". In the unix shell, you can use dd to erase the data:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdisk/dsk0c bs=256k skip=1
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
swatjason
Occasional Contributor

I've been using the following to wipe my disks:

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/disk/ bs=1024k

The first disk took about a day to wipe and ended with:

/: write failed, file system is full
dd: Reached end of medium. exiting...

Should I always expect to see that? I've been wiping the second disk for about four days now and it's still not done so I'm wondering why it's taking so long. I don't remember how big the partition was compared to the first one, but I know I didn't expect it to take nearly this long.

Also, how does a lower bs affect this? Finally, what's the advantage of using the skip option?

Thanks a lot.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>> /: write failed, file system is full
>>> dd: Reached end of medium. exiting...

>>> Should I always expect to see that?

I think that you are not using the right device because:

1 - If you don't use the skip option, you should get an error. Tru64 won't allow write to the firsts blocks of the device so you must skip them.

2- You get a message "/: write failed, file system is full". When you write to write devices, you don't write to file systems, in this case the message is indicating that you are writing to a file system, this should mean that the device name you specified is incorrect and is creating a regular file in the /etc directory that is filling the root file system.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
swatjason
Occasional Contributor

Weird, it looks like you're right. The root partition is full. The exact command and error that I got was:

# dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/disk/disk4h bs=1024k
/: write failed, file system is full
dd: Reached end of medium. exiting...

disk4h is /rman, not root; so it looks like the device is right:

[sysadmin@banyan: fdmns]$ ls -la rman_domain
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 2 root system 8192 Sep 26 2002 ./
drwxr-xr-x 12 root system 8192 Sep 26 2002 ../
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root system 15 Sep 26 2002 dsk4h@ -> /dev/disk/dsk4h

From what I can tell the command looks correct (except for the -skip option). Any ideas?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>>> of=/dev/disk/disk4h bs=1024k
:
>>> dsk4h@ -> /dev/disk/dsk4h

>> From what I can tell the command looks correct (except for the -skip option). Any ideas?

Yeah, an 'i' too much in disk4h.

The fact that / fills up proves something is wrong.

To be 100% sure I would recommend to always not only do the ls -l on the dd of target, but also to issue a 'file /dev/disk/dsk4h'

Regards,
Hein van den Heuvel