6388 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk failure

enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

Disk failure

Hi,

I have an "old" HP rp3410 with HP-UX 11.31.

In an external enclosure, I have 2 300 Gb SCSI disks, attached to an Ultra320 controller.

Today one of these disks stopped functioning; I tried to fsck the disk with the following error:

# fsck -F vxfs -o full,nolog /dev/vg03/lvol1
UX:vxfs fsck: WARNING: V-3-20836: file system had I/O error(s) on meta-data.
pass0 - checking structural files
pass1 - checking inode sanity and blocks
UX:vxfs fsck: ERROR: V-3-26117: bc_read failure devid = 0, bno = 8373899, off = 0, len = 8192

Is there anything else I can try to recover the contents of the file system in it ?

Thank you

Enrico

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What does the disk show in the output from 'ioscan -fnC disk'?  If it show's NO_HW, then you're out of luck.

If you did not have the data mirrored then you'll have to restore the data after you replace the disk.

enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

The status is CLAIMED

# ioscan -fnC disk /dev/dsk/c4t8d0
Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
=====================================================================
disk 4 0/4/1/0.8.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP 300 GMAW3300NC
/dev/dsk/c4t8d0 /dev/rdsk/c4t8d0

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The status CLAIMED means that the driver could talk to the electronics inside the disk. But the errors indicate that the disk has had a crash and the oxide is damaged. Therefore the data is unreadable and no HP-UX tools can restore this area. Disks are the highest failure item for any computer. Mirroring is simply mandatory for any data that is important.

If money is not o problem, there are several disk recovery companies that may be able to recover the data on the disk. It may cost more than your entire computer though.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

About the error reported from fsck, I've found these informations on the veritas.com website (https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000013525):

Cause

I/O read failure at block offset 32206696 (into the file system) was detected by fsck

Solution

At this point during the fsck, no disk I/O errors are tolerated. Retry the file system check, as the I/O error might be transient. Check the console logs for any I/O errors relating to the filesystem's devices. If the problem is a disk failure, replace the disk.

I will try again to repair the disk, as they suggest, but the possibilities of a success are really limited. In the meantime, I am encountering some problems with frecover in restoring the backup on another disk, but if the problem persists this will be the subject of another post.

Thank you

Enrico

enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

A brief follow up.

I've tried to put the damaged disk in a -20 C freezer for about 1 and a half hour.

Afterwards, I've reinserted the damaged disk in the server. At the first boot, fsck repaired successfully the disk, and it was mounted without a further manual intervention.

After the data recovery operations ("rsync" was used to copy the last updates performed on the file system to a new disk) I tried to do a last backup of the disk. Many read faults but it reached the end.

Problem solved, with a good amount of luck. Next time I will set up some type of redundancy of the data.

Thank you for your help

Enrico