Operating System - HP-UX
1752661 Members
5710 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk full: increasing a volume (NO LVM)

PatRoy
Regular Advisor

Disk full: increasing a volume (NO LVM)

I need some help this morning.

Get into work to find that my /sybase volume is full at 100%. I can't even go in it to clean it up either!

Now, normally, I would just increase the LV or something! But this time, the ones that built this box had just assigned a full 25Gb lun straight to it!

File-System Mbytes Used Avail %Used Mounted on
/dev/disk/disk23 25.8g 23.2g 65 100% /sybase

And even stranger, among all of our other Sybase / HPUX servers, that's the only one using a HFS filesystem!

I've asked the storage to first increase the size of the lun... (MSA1000), but I'll still need to increase the FS, no?

Can anyone tell me how this is done?

I've found this:

http://networktechnologist.com/tips-hpux-lvm.html

But I can't see the -b option in fsadm.. Is this the appropriate way?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!! Pat
12 REPLIES 12
Stephan._1
Trusted Contributor

The Tips are for vxfs filesystems, you wrote that you use hfs (strange enough).

Usual behavior would be:

lvextend
umount
extendfs

I'm not sure about hfs but on vxfs you need at least 1% free space, so this could cause trouble.

Share what you know, learn what you don't.
PatRoy
Regular Advisor

What if I DON'T have a 1% free?
Mark S Meadows
Valued Contributor

Hi,

As the file system is HFS you will need to unmount it first before you will be able to extend it.

Also as it is at 100% capacity it my be prudent to temporarily free up some unused space first (mv/rm) within the file system before unmounting it and then move back the data after it has been successfully extended otherwise the extendfs may abort due to the lack of space

Regards,

Mark

Administrating HP-UX systems for more years than I care to admit, but still enjoying it (most of the time!).
PatRoy
Regular Advisor

Hi Mark.

Yeah, I've seen increasing LVs and such failed sue to lack of free space...

My problem is that I can't even access it! I get I/O Errors when trying to cd into it...

Think I'll need to reboot and then try it again... see if I can at least get in and free up some space...
Stephan._1
Trusted Contributor

Try to disabling sysbase before the reboot, probably it still try to write data in the filesystem.

As mentioned before, the extend could fail if you don't have free space.

On the other hand you should think about converting the filesystem to vxfs if it is wrong configured.

Please check if vxfsconvert(1M)is available on your box, otherwise a recreate and restore will be the only way for it.
Mark S Meadows
Valued Contributor

The file system appears to have been created using the whole disk approach, i.e. :

newfs -F hfs /dev/rdisk/disk23
mount /dev/disk/disk23 /sybase

as the disk does not belong to a particular volume group - no lvm as mentioned.

File-System Mbytes Used Avail %Used Mounted on
/dev/disk/disk23 25.8g 23.2g 65 100% /sybase

Not quite sure how this can be extended.

Regards,

Mark
Administrating HP-UX systems for more years than I care to admit, but still enjoying it (most of the time!).
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

Worst of worst. Make a backup of the file system. umount the disk, Extend the lun. Run newfs. Remount then restore the file system.
PatRoy
Regular Advisor

Yeah, I thought about creating a new lun even and restore from backup to it! Not enough space left on our MSA to create a new Lun...

I'm just about to reboot the server and see if I can then access the volume to clean it up.
Stephan._1
Trusted Contributor

Good Luck!

If you need to recreate please think about creating the new filesystem as vxfs using LVM, would make things a lot easier if you run in the same problem again.