108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disk partitions and AdvFS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Disk partitions and AdvFS

Is there any good reason to carve up partitions to utilize with AdvFS domains vs. using 1 whole disk partition per domain?

i.e.

foo_domain -> dsk75a
bar_domain -> dsk75b
car_domain -> dsk75d

vs.

foo_domain -> dsk76c
bar_domain -> dsk77c
car_domain -> dsk78c

We have a system set up to utilize partitions vs. the whole disk approach. It seems like a bad idea to me (i.e. it seems better to me to do all partitioning at the SAN level). Is there any good reason to do it using partitions at the OS disk level?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Disk partitions and AdvFS

Using the whole disk ("c" paritition) is always better.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You always get better performance balancing the I/O between multiple disks, instead different partitions.

You need a different partition when you want to isolate the data. So a corruption on one domain wont affect the other, but a domain crash is not very common.

You can use one partition, one domain and various filesets to get a better utilization of disk space.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Orrin
Valued Contributor

Hi,

The answer is it depends upon the business requirement. On a production node highly unlikely. But when we get into test and dev nodes... it helps when you start scripting the installation of various oracle instances etc...

Hope this helps.