Output:
======
dd read error : Invalid argument
0+0 records in
0+0 records out

Rgd's

T(ogether) E(very one) A(chive) M(ore)

Re: Disk2 with 0 MB (HP-UX 11.11)

and that to me is consistent with a failed disk... at this stage I'd suggest you remove and reseat the disk and try again - if you get the same issue your disk is most likely failed...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>dd read error : Invalid argument

Hmm, I would expect some type of I/O error message?

>Duncan: That will take a good while to complete... (maybe several hours)

(Using a larger blocksize, bs=1024k, would speed it up.)

Dennis,

> Hmm, I would expect some type of I/O error message?

Ah yes, I'd *expect* a more menaingful error message as well - but you can get this message when you simply can't get anything out of a device (for example this is the error message you get if you attempt to use dd on a CD or DVD drive which has no CD/DVD loaded...

Presumably its the error code returned by the read system call:

[EINVAL] The starting file offset associated with fildes is
greater than the maximum supported file size.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Akif_1
Super Advisor

Hi,

So it means complete DISK 2 (c3t6d0) failure.....

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Sometimes a disk failure will not cause an amber LED. You cannot exclude the possibility of hardware failure just because there is no LED problem indication. LED diagnostics is for severe faults: the failure of a disk that is not currently used for anything critical is not a _severe_ fault, unless it prevents something else from working.

If a disk detects a mechanical failure but the disk's internal electronics still works OK, the disk may either a) disconnect itself from the bus electrically, causing a NO_HW in the ioscan listing, or b) report zero size. Neither of these is likely to cause an amber LED, unless the failing disk is the boot disk.

If the disk's internal electronics are failing, the failing disk may interfere with other traffic on the SCSI bus, causing SCSI bus resets (lbolt errors in syslog) or even blocking the bus entirely (causing a crash and an amber LED because the system cannot boot).

What is the hardware model? The ioscan listing suggests this might be a workstation (it has built-in audio and USB, and an actual floppy drive).

I've seen some HP disks fail in exactly this way.

In all those cases, when I was opening the hardware support case with HP and told the disk model and the words "the diskinfo command shows 0 MB size" to the engineer, the response was something like: "OK, then it really is dead. When can we come to replace it?"

MK
MK
Akif_1
Super Advisor

I agree with all my colleagues comments that this 0MB size due to DISK failure .Thanks to all for their on time support.......