Operating System - HP-UX
1752577 Members
4813 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Don't have local tape drive. Can I create make_recovery tapes across network?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Don't have local tape drive. Can I create make_recovery tapes across network?

I'm having concerns about being able to reboot. I don't have an attached tape drive. Can I create make_recovery tapes across the network?
If yes, how can I do it and how would I boot from the network?
Thanks in advance...
jack
2 REPLIES 2
jherring
Regular Advisor
Solution

Re: Don't have local tape drive. Can I create make_recovery tapes across network?

make_net_recovery will work great if you want to just store the image on a different system.
see make_net_recovery man page or documentation that can be found at http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/
Or you can use make_net_recovery to the system with the tape drive and then copy the data to the tape I believe /opt/ignite/share/doc/makenetrec.txt will describe the procedure. also make_net_recovery man page will help.

There is no way to directly do a make_recovery to a remote tape drive.

Hope this helps

Jon
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Furthermore, once you have created the archive using make_net_recovery, you CAN write the archive to tape. It's just a matter of writting the LIF (which makes the tape bootable) and the archive to the tape.

Check out the make_net_recovery paper in /opt/ignite/share/doc/makenetrec.txt.

Since you do not have a tape drive that is local, you could still create the tape. In the event of a failure, and you wanted to restore locally, call your local HP rep. They often have tape drives that are loaned/rented out.
"Downtime is a Crime."