1751781 Members
3918 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EBay black screen

Vernon Brown_4
Trusted Contributor

EBay black screen

Is it just me or does the EBay auction page cause Gnome to crash to a black user screen? I'm running FC6 64 Firefox on a duel core Intel running about 3.5 Ghz with 3 GIG ram.

The last line of the crash screen shows a stack message.
5 REPLIES 5
Vernon Brown_4
Trusted Contributor

Turning off Java and Javascript fixes the problem.
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

I still can't understand why Sun has not released a native 64bit jre for any OS as of yet.

I would have thought that they, of all people, would have seen the writing on the wall and known that 64bit was the wave of the future. Even the latest and greatest Redmond Virus is pushing a 64bit version (not to mention that they even played with it in the XP world) and STILL we have no 64bit jre?

I can't help but wonder what they are waiting for.

Honestly, the lack of support for 64bit java and 64bit Flash are the only things keeping me from switching all of my Linux boxes to 64bit.

What will it take to wake up these companies to this?
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Vernon Brown_4
Trusted Contributor

Hi John; thanks for the response. Moving to 64 bit seems as simple as compiling with a 64 bit compiler -- at least it seems so for all the code I've written.

I fixed this problem by rebuilding the linux kernel with the Nvidia driver install. It seems that with each FC6_64 upgrade that installs a new kernel, you have to rebuild the kernel locally. It's the FC6 upgrades that are getting to be a pain.
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting...

I get all of my NVidia drivers from Livna pre-compiled for F7 (moved on from FC6 several weeks ago on the notebook). Getting them in nice little kernel modules pre-wrapped in rpms just seemed like a better way for me to spend my limited time.

If you are finding a 64bit Java Runtime Environment that plugs into the 64bit Firefox, I would be interested in knowing where you found yours.

Of course, if you can find a way to put the Adobe (AKA - Macromedia) Flash plugin into a 64 bit browser I would be pretty much beside myself with excitement.

If you want to try out the kernel modules that I have been using, you can always install the Livna repo and then search for kmod-nvidia.

Of course, if you really want to be lazy about it, you can always do the 'yum install yumex' and then use the GUI to search for all of the NVidia packages. {insert goofy grin here}

Congrats on getting your issue resolved regardless of how you accomplished it.
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Vernon,

I think you mean that you need to recompile the nvidia drivers for each new fc6 kernel release. You shouldn't need to recompile the kernel.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"