Operating System - HP-UX
1745864 Members
4486 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EMC SAN Disk "NO_HW" on 11.31 - Fixed by reboot?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Craig Johnson_1
Regular Advisor

EMC SAN Disk "NO_HW" on 11.31 - Fixed by reboot?

We're seeing this way too often on our 11.31 deployments. It happens for both Symmetrix and Clariion disk. "ioscan" finds the disk but often says "no_hw". A reboot clears the problem.

We cannot reboot production servers in order to add disk. What are we doing wrong?

Here's some output from the smh about one of the disks in question:

Detail View of Disk: 64000/0xfa00/0x8
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LUN H/W Path 64000/0xfa00/0x8
Persistent Device File /dev/disk/disk12
Legacy Device File(s) /dev/dsk/c31t0d0;/dev/dsk/c30t0d0;/dev/dsk/c32t0d0;/dev/dsk/c33t0d0;
Legacy H/W Path(s) 0/6/0/0/0/0/4/0/0/0.99.5.19.0.0.0;0/6/0/0/0/0/4/0/0/0.99.80.19.0.0.0;0/7/
Device Health offline
Device Identifier
Alias
World Wide ID 0x50060160bb20186150060160bb201861
Size 0 GB
Block Size (bytes)
Capacity (blocks)
Use unused
VG Name -
Device Type RAID
Instance Number 12
Total Path Count 4
Device Class disk
Driver esdisk
State UNOPEN
Vendor "DGC "
Product "LUNZ "
Serial Number "APM00091400581"
Firmware Revision "0428"
SCSI Protocol Revision
17 REPLIES 17
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

If you are NOT using Powerpath - there are SOME Symmetri and Clarions that are not supported natively by HP-UX 11.31's mass storage stack with respect to multipathing.

I thought I posted a few weeks ago a URL showing what Storage Arrays are officially supported under 11.31.

What are your EMC models?
Hakuna Matata.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a SCSI reservation issue to me but I am not a SAN admin, so I can not assure you about that. Clariion series equipment that I had the displeasure of dealing with so far, always had initial operational issues with UNIX servers.

Feel free to call both HP and EMC support and explain them your dilemma and have them suggest some solutions.

We do use PowerPath.
Craig Johnson_1
Regular Advisor

Correction: We do NOT use PowerPath.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Monsieur.. give us your EMC Symmetrix and Clarion Models and we can tell you with "definiteness" if the 11.31 stack supports those arrays. NOT all EMC SAN arrays are supported sir.
Hakuna Matata.
Craig Johnson_1
Regular Advisor

Symmetrix DMX-2000, Symmetrix DMX-3 4500, CLARiiON NS-960
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

http://www.hp.com/products1/serverconnectivity/mass_storage_devices.html#EMC

Your EMC Arrays are all suported alright.
Hakuna Matata.
Craig Johnson_1
Regular Advisor

So, if they're supported, what is the problem?
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Only areas I can think of are:

(1) Check the SAN --- find out from the Switch Logs if your FC HBA connections are getting logged off or have some disconnects. This should also be manifesting in syslog (dmesg) or /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

(2) Verify (during times they work normally) if the disks are truly multipathed -- meaning: for each DSF persistend EMC device - /dev/rdsk/diskNNN -- that there are 2 devices. I can;t recall the syntax but it is one of the ioscan arguments. If your dsf devices are not multipathed -- then there may lie your issues. Consult EMC manuals to see if there are special "scsimgr" tweakables -- IF you are indeed NOT using PowerPath.

Question though -- what typical disk device do you usually use out of these EMC LUNs? Can you give a sample? Is it /dev/rdisk/diskNNN ?

Hakuna Matata.