New Discussion юеВ

ERROR: The operation could not complete due to insufficient memory

SOLVED
Go to solution
shardam
Frequent Advisor

ERROR: The operation could not complete due to insufficient memory

Hi All,

Im having a trouble with this insufficient memory from our integrity server with 11.31 HPUX version. It's just a new server migrated from PA. Now after we setup everything from the server and apps SAP/Oracle were brought, we noticed memory is insufficient after all. Physical ram is 8GB with 16GB dev swap configured. Now, my question is, are we in short of ram? or swap? Also, I noticed, even memory uses reached 100%, our swap never been used to cover this memory.

See the output from swapinfo

geqkbw01:/tmp/alf # swapinfo -tam
Mb Mb Mb PCT START/ Mb
TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME
dev 16384 87 16297 1% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
reserve - 16297 -16297
memory 7772 7732 40 99%
total 24156 24116 40 100% - 0 -
9 REPLIES 9
cdelgadop
Solution

Re: ERROR: The operation could not complete due to insufficient memory

Hi

In Oracle enviroments i have found is a good thing when all server RAM memory is used. It's not good when UNIX (in this case HP-UX) begins to swap cause a single access to a page in swap space is far more expensive that the same access to RAM. So as long as your system does not swap memory this behavior could be ok.

I think you need to tune your OS so only the required programs start in the init secuence, this way you can save some memory. You also need to tune your SAP/Oracle enviroment. Of course you might end buying more RAM.

Hope this helps
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> we noticed memory is insufficient after all.

Are you reaching this conclusion because swapinfo shows 100%? Or are you seeing an error message that says there is not enough memory to continue?

While it is nice to have extra memory, HP-UX is a virtual memory system and it will continue to run when your programs require 9 or 10 GB of RAM. Your swap space is untouched so you have not run out of memory. Use vmstat to look at the po (page out) column. Single digits (0-9) are negligible, 10-50 means that there is some paging taking place, more than 50 means that you have active paging (swapping) taking place which will slow things down -- but only if it continues for a long time. Occasional paging is just fine.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>are we in short of ram? or swap?

Most likely both if you want to continue with your current Oracle memory use and still want to run more programs.

>we noticed memory is insufficient after all.

>Bill: Are you reaching this conclusion because swapinfo shows 100%?

Yes, 100% means you are completely out of swap. And no more processes can be started.

In the above case, swap has been allocated on device swap but it hasn't actually started swapping/paging.

>Your swap space is untouched so you have not run out of memory.

True but you have run out of swap and you can't add any more new straw to the camel.
The existing processes can use 16 Gb of their already reserved swap.
Yogesh M Puranik
Valued Contributor

Hello,

1]Such kind of error ususally you will get when your swap Memory is also 100%.

2]As a part of Performance management, I will suggest just check out the number of processes attached to the associated shared memory segment.

Using #ipcs -mob command.

3]In this If NATTCH column carries value "0" means this processes are completed but still not released shared memory segment.

4]You can Released these segments using following command

ipcrm -m "id"(column 2nd)

EX.

# ipcs -mob
IPC status from /dev/kmem as of Tue Jul 21 00:57:44 2009
T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP NATTCH SEGSZ
Shared Memory:
m 0 0x411c0117 --rw-rw-rw- root root 0 348
m 1 0x4e0c0002 --rw-rw-rw- root root 1 61760
m 2 0x41203648 --rw-rw-rw- root root 1 8192
m 3 0x00a5c581 --rw------- sfmdb users 4 10469376
m 4 0x06347849 --rw-rw-rw- root root 2 65544
m 262149 0x49182f7c --rw-r--r-- root root 0 22908
m 6 0x0c6629c9 --rw-r----- root root 2 17868904

# ipcrm -m 262149

Make sure You are taking correct id.

5] You can also check in glance which are the top memory eating processes.

Rgds
Yogesh

shardam
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bill and Dennis,

>Are you reaching this conclusion because swapinfo shows 100%? Or are you seeing an error message that says there is not enough memory to continue?

Yes, yet in fact im getting an error msg of running out of memory from the box.
Is total=100% from the above output of swapinfo is the SWAP? how bout the dev=1% on the above, is this also my device swap. Pls correct me if im wrong, swap and device swap is different to each other?

>Your swap space is untouched so you have not run out of memory.

This is meant that device swap has not touched. Likewise from the above case, the memory=99% is my ram and total=100% (swap)?
Sunny123_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

In swapinfo -tam output look out for the total (total column)swap usage.If your total memory is 100% then you have to add the swap.

Regards
Sunny
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Is total=100% from the above output of swapinfo is the SWAP?

Yes.

>how about the dev=1% on the above, is this also my device swap. correct me if I'm wrong, swap and device swap is different to each other?

Swap includes pseudo-swap AND device swap AND filesystem swap.

>This is meant that device swap has not touched. the memory=99% is my ram and total=100% (swap)?

Your device swap is 99% reserved. Your pseudo swap (not really RAM) and total swap are ~100%.

So you can't get any more swap for new processes.
shardam
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dennis,

->Your device swap is 99% reserved. Your pseudo swap (not really RAM) and total swap
are ~100%.

So this meant, I need to increase my device swap? or my RAM?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I need to increase my device swap? or my RAM?

Either or both. It would depend on the performance and how much money you have. If you have lots of Page Outs in vmstat(1) then you know you need memory.