Actual: 00000000.000000C3
XORval: 00000000.000000AD
loading program from floppy
Floppy driver error
Loading Console

Expect: 00000000.0000006E
Actual: 00000000.000000C3
XORval: 00000000.000000AD
Code execution complete (transfer control)

OpenVMS PALcode V1.98-104, Tru64 UNIX PALcode V1.92-105

8>< snip ><8

There is no output on the monitor and the LCD panel near the reset switch says "loading console". The error is reproducible (happens every warm reset).

Is this a hardware error, or could the SRM firmware be corrupt, or both?

Do I need to re-flash the SRM firmware (and if so how do I do this?) or is there some other solution?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Re: ES40 error

Hi,

has there been a long power off event to the server?

It might be that the console is moving from serial to VGA/Does the ES40 have a graphics adapter in it?

have you checked preboot config to see what the console is set to?

hope that helps

Matt
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

what does 'Show console' give back.

try switching from 'set console serial' to 'set console graphics' if you have a VGA adapter.

regards

Matt
Andy K101

Thanks for your replies. I got someone onsite to check the monitor output prior to posting this question and nothing ever shows up on the monitor, even during a reset. What I would like to know is is the output "Expect: 00000000.0000006E
Actual: 00000000.000000C3" normal when jumping from serial to vga or does it indicate some sort of error? As I cannot access the P00>> prompt either via serial console or vga I can't check the SRM settings for the console. If I disconnected the monitor and keyboard would that force it to keep displaying on the serial port? Cheers.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>> If I disconnected the monitor and keyboard would that force it to keep displaying on the serial port? Cheers. <<<

Yes...
diconnecting (especially the keyboard connector) forces the system to use the serial console.
Andy K101

Today I got the system powered off and they removed the keyboard, mouse, and monitor connections and powered the server back on. This eliminates the possibility that the system is jumping to the vga console. I still get the same error message, the system hangs at: "Code execution complete (transfer control)

OpenVMS PALcode V1.98-104, Tru64 UNIX PALcode V1.92-105".

(this message is via the serial console)

Any ideas why it is not giving me a P00>> prompt?

Thanks
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Could be corruption.

Have you checked/changed the SRM Fail-safe jumpers on the System Mainboard? It sounds like its trying to read from floppy as if the Fail-safe jumpers are set to re-flash the system from the floppy diskettes.

http://www.compaq.com/cpq-alphaserver/firmware/readmes/es40fsl.html

Just make sure you create the diskettes with correct version of code. The ES40 uses different code for each of the different ES40 models.

Rgds,

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Can you get the RMC console ?
That may give you some more information as to what is going on.

^[^[ rmc

^=Ctrl and [=left bracket

Then:

RMC> status

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob