7963 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ES45 and 3DLabs Oxygen GVX1

Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

ES45 and 3DLabs Oxygen GVX1

In the specification for AlphaServer ES45, GS80, Graphic Cards Supported:

The following graphic cards are supported for use on Alpha systems with the HP Server Console Switch:
тАв ELSA Gloria Synergy (SN-PBXGK-BB)
тАв 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1 (SN-PBXGF-AB)
тАв ATI Radeon 7500 (3X-PBXGG-AA/AB)

Question, why doesn't the 3Dlabs Oxygen GVX1 graphics card work with the ES45 running Tru64 verson 5.1b?

When I try to boot to rebuild the kernel with this card added, I get errors along the lines of:
Pchip 1 AGP Error Register Decode
PCI command: AGP Read (low-priority)
Pchip 1 Aport PCI error ....
7 REPLIES 7
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

This card should work even with "plain" 5.1B instalation. Are you installing OS from begining or you are adding graphics card on an existing installation?
Ussually it worked with no problem and
>>> boot -file genvmunix
did the job.
Maybe it is a hardware problem with graphics card.
Did you install NHD?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

I initially installed 5.1b from the beginning with the Radeon 7500 card, but needed the Oxygen for the specific resolutions that I need for my apps. So, we ordered the Oxygen 3D VX1 cards (which work just fine with the ES45 tru64 5.1b -- I tried it with a card from another system). Instead of receiving the VX1, we got the GVX1. It was installed and we have tried to rebuild the kernel using >>boot -fi genvmunix... but no success.

Also, I have not installed NHD....
Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

I have installed the NHD and still get the Pchip 1 AGP Error Register messages.

The NHD was installed after a full install and patch updates. 175 of the approx. 350 patches were actually installed.

What does the error for AGP Error Register for Pchip 1 mean?
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

What is the exact part number of your graphics card?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

There is no part number from HP for this card... The list of supported graphics cards inlcludes the Oxygen VX1 but not the GVX1, so I wont have a hp part number. The only number I found was GVX1-32
Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

The Oxygen VX1 PCI graphics card that I know works was installed in a locked-down 33 Mhz PCI slot. Right now, the GVX1 is inserted into that 33Hhz slot. Do you think it would matter if it were in a 66 Mhz slot?

Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

More info for anyone that might help.

Initially, my system hade the Radeon 7500 graphics card. Well, I needed a dift set of resolutions to work with, so the OXYGEN VX1 was ordered, but on delivery, we received the Oxygen GVX1. The Radeon was removed and an attempt to install the GVX1 failed... Temoporarily troubleshot the system with the VX1 (in a 33Mhz slot) and it worked. Went back to the Radeon and installed the new hardware delivery (NHD). Rebuilt the kernel. Then, reinstalled the GVX1 into a both the 33 and 66Mhz slots and tried to boot/rebuild the kernel using >>>boot -fi genvmunix

When the boot sequence gets down to the graphics card, get:

AGP Error = Read
AGP Decodes:
Bit 0: Lost Error
Bit 8: No DevSel as PCI master
Pchip 1 Aport PCI error
PCI command: Memory write......

In looking for the cause of this problem, I ran across some information that stated something about the "internal register" had to be cleared in order to continue accessing the card.

How does one "clear an internal register"