5216 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA LUNS PVLink Failed! The PV is still accessible

johnsonpk
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is all the three LUN in that vg from same EVA? What is EVA model? can you compare the PV time out value for all the three LUN (pvdisplay )

PV Name /dev/dsk/c12t0d1
PV Name /dev/dsk/c12t0d2
PV Name /dev/dsk/c12t0d3

your sample log entry shows the culprit as disk /dev/dsk/c12t0d2 .. is there any logs for other pvs ?(look for PVLink 31 0x??0100 and 0x??0300 )
if it is only for the newly added PVs , try increasing the pv timeout values to 90 or 180 ( pvchange -t 180 )

Regards
Johnson

cam9269
Regular Advisor

Hi Johnson,

Yep, all LUNs came from the same EVA (EVA3000)
pvtimeout = 120 for all LUNs.

There are also other PVs generating the error.

Last night I took out these PVs from the VG alternates, and the error stopped.

The question now is, why am I getting the PVlink errors when I use those alternate links? Any ideas?

Thanks!
johnsonpk
Honored Contributor

Hi, you can stop logging those time out error in the syslog by disable pro-active polling for pvs (pvchange -p n )for the time being (better than removing all alternate links). However ,try isolating issues by just adding alternative links from same HBA or add one at a time ...

regards
johnson
cam9269
Regular Advisor

Hi Johnson,

The problem is, when I add these links, they not only create those error messages, but also create very, very high I/O on the system.

The OS is complaining about excessive I/O errors from the device and I think it will create bottlenecks if ever the new space is allocated to an LV.

Is there some documents which discusses LVM stuff in a deeper sense? I need to find out how these things work so that I can it explain better and perhaps put up a solution for the issue.

Thanks!
Chris

johnsonpk
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

I am sorry to say that i don't have any .Log a call with HP for better analysis..

It may be because of an issue with specific HBA , HBA firmware, or driver .Try update it with latest patches .(alternatively add link from only one hba and see if it with a particular HBA.

Regard!
Johnson
Prasanth Thomas
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Please let me know the server model,OS and the output of ioscan -fnkC fc

When did u upgrade the pathes (especially HBA) on this server?.
Better you can do a patch assessment on this server and chek. Please fnd the below link to do the same.

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/addUpdateSystemsPage.do?BC=main|assess|

Regards,
Prasanth Thomas.