108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Editing /usr/lib/tztab for HPUX 11.11

SOLVED
Go to solution
Regina Mitchell
Frequent Advisor

Editing /usr/lib/tztab for HPUX 11.11

Can this file be edited? What are the consequences of editing this file when server needs to be patched later down the road?

All replies are appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Yes, it can be edited, but typically patches will replace the file, thus undoing any edits you have made.

Pete

Pete
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

Yes, the file can be modified to your needs. _However_ you will find that if you go to apply a standard 'tztab' patch (e.g. PHCO_39173) that '/usr/lib/tztab' will _NOT_ be replaced. Rather the patch will deliver '/usr/newconfig/usr/lib/tztab' and not copy it over the older (here, modified) 'tztab'.

Interestingly, I just noticed that this is now documented in the patch's special installation instructions notes.

Regards!

...JRF...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

For 11.11 the latest patch is PHCO_39172 and the same special installation instructions are noted.

Regards!

...JRF...
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Yes, it can be edited.

The consequences of editing the file manually are detailed in the patch notes of each tztab patch. The latest tztab patch for 11.11 seems to be PHCO_39172:

http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=PHCO_39172

Here's a quote of the "Special Installation Instructions". --> emphasis mine <---
---------
This patch installs the new tztab file to /usr/newconfig/usr/lib/tztab --> and updates /usr/lib/tztab only if it matches a version delivered by the OS or an earlier patch. <---

If the file /usr/lib/tztab has been customized, /usr/lib/tztab and /usr/newconfig/usr/lib/tztab need to be merged and such a merged file installed manually using a specific method, to avoid problems with processes accessing the current copy of /usr/lib/tztab. Note that all processes needing the new information need to be restarted after the new /usr/lib/tztab file has been put in place.
------

After that, the patch notes document lists the necessary procedure step by step. If you have made any changes to the tztab file, it is assumed that you'll know how to find your changes and understand the structure of the tztab file, so that you can make the appropriate changes to the new version too.

MK
MK
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Sorry, I got that overwritten part confused. James, of course, is right. You will have to manually combine your changes with the new tztab file and move it into the proper location.

Pete

Pete
Regina Mitchell
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all replies. Much appreciated. I will not forget to assing points.

You guys are great!
Regina Mitchell
Frequent Advisor

I recieved the answer I was expecting.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Any reason you are asking? Are you worried about some upcoming DST change in some other country?

>JRF: I just noticed that this is now documented in the patch's special installation instructions notes.

Also a lot of scary stuff, probably because they mmap(2) the file.