Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1751906 Members
4833 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Entire Hard Disk Clone in Compaq Alphaserver DS 10 with a Tru64 Unix ?

Reality
Occasional Visitor

Entire Hard Disk Clone in Compaq Alphaserver DS 10 with a Tru64 Unix ?

Dear All,

First of all i want to say that I am very beginner to this kind of operating systems. In my work there is a computer Compaq Alphaserver DS 10 with a Tru64 Unix 4.0F. My problem is that In the computer there is 60 GB Hard Disk, I want to copy entire disk to a new hard disk for redundancy. If there is a system failure , i will just want to install the new hard disk (may be the disk might have different capacity).

What is the easiest way to do that? Is there a software or command doing that?

Best regards.

2 REPLIES 2
Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Re: Entire Hard Disk Clone in Compaq Alphaserver DS 10 with a Tru64 Unix ?

I'm not a Tru64 guy either, but like other UNIXs there are some common features.  You might want to look at the logical storage manager documentation at http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V40F_HTML/AQ3NCETE/TITLE.HTM.  If your trying to create a mirrored bootable image that would be a good place to look. 

Also, most UNIXs have the "dd" command which lets you do a low level Disk to Disk copy.  You should be able to bring up the manual page from the command line by typing "man dd".

John_Manger

Re: Entire Hard Disk Clone in Compaq Alphaserver DS 10 with a Tru64 Unix ?

You could

- install/fit the new disk

- label it with disklabel remembering to make it bootable for your root filesystem type (advfs or UFS)

- make root, usr, var filesystems (and any others) on the new disk

- mount each in turn, and use vdump | vrestore to copy the old partitions to the new partitions

- test boot from the new/spare disk

- repeat occasionally to keep the spare up to date

Do read the man pages for disklabel, mkfdmn, mkfset or newfs, and vdump and vrestore, particularly the example sections.

John M