Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "ld: Can't find library or mismatched ABI for -lutil"

aarvee
Occasional Advisor

Error "ld: Can't find library or mismatched ABI for -lutil"

Hi,
We are migrating a pro*c application from PA-RISC based server (B.11.11) to Itanium server (B.11.23). The problem is when compiling the code I am getting the below mentioned error
"ld: Can't find library or mismatched ABI for -lutil"

along with a few warnings like

cc: warning 901: unknown option: `+DA2.0W': use +help for online documentation

The warning I guess can be sorted out by changing the cflags. But not able to sort out the error. Can any one of you please help me out in this.
3 REPLIES
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Error "ld: Can't find library or mismatched ABI for -lutil"

Hi:

Either the linker can't find the object in it's LD_LIBRARY_PATH or SHLIB_PATH or you are mixing 32-bit and 64-bit objects. The "bitness" that the linker matches every object to is that of the first object it sees.

Regards!

...JRF...
aarvee
Occasional Advisor

JRF:
Can you please elaborate the mixing 32 bit and 64bit objects. You can treat me as Novice in this area.

Thanks
RV

First of all you should install the latest linker patch so you get a better message that doesn't jam two errors into one.

>The warning I guess can be sorted out by changing the cflags.

You MUST change +DA2.0W to +DD64! Both on PA and IPF. +DA* isn't supported on IPF.

>Can you please elaborate the mixing 32 bit and 64bit objects.

All of your objects and libs must be either 32 or 64 bit. If you have a better linker, you will know if you have this issue at all.

In general, do you have a -L path that points to libutil.x? (Where x is .a, .so or .sl.)

>JRF: Either the linker can't find the object in its LD_LIBRARY_PATH or SHLIB_PATH

This is a linker error not dld.so, so these variables have nothing to do with it.