7495 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Errors in Syslog

Arun Jain
Frequent Advisor

Errors in Syslog

Hi All,

I have HP rp5470 server connected with IBM DS4800 Storage. Daily we perform LUN copy activity on this machine from storage.
yesterday night syslog stored some errors that are following... Please suggest
===============================================
DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM WARNING:
in stm to start it.
If the diaglogd daemon is active, use the logtool utility in stm to determine which I/O subsystem is logging excessive errors.
DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM WARNING:
The diagnostic logging facility is no longer receiving excessive errors from the I/O subsystem. 2 I/O error entries were lost. The diagnostic logging facility has started receiving excessive errors from the I/O subsystem. I/O error entries will be lost until the cause of the excessive I/O logging is corrected.
===========================================

Best regards:
Arun Jain
speak less say more
3 REPLIES 3
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

What this usually means is that a device has started reporting I/O errors faster than dialogd can deal with them.

Normally, you would need to do what it suggests to identify what the hardware causing the problem is:
use the logtool utility in stm
to determine which I/O subsystem is logging excessive errors.

Back up your data, take this system out of production if possible and consult HP or IBM hardware even if you pay time and materials.

You could have a bad disk.
You could have a bad scsi controller.
You could have a bad terminator on a scsi device.
You could have a bad cable
You could have a bad drive cage(if applicable).
a warrior never quits
Jitesh purohit_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Arun,

Please try to run the complete command , Which the EMS will provie you in the syslog , like the one below

Jun 24 04:00:29 Test EMS [5069]: ------ EMS Event Notification ------ Value: MAJORWARNING (3) for Resource: /adapters/events/TL_adapter/1_0_2_0_0.25 (Threshold: >= 3 ) Execute the following command to obtain event details: /opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 332215474 -r /adapters/events/TL_adapter/1_0_2_0_0.25 -n 332202588 -a

Thanks
Jitesh
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Arun,

Detailed information you could find in /var/opt/resmon/log/event.log about the errors.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.