1745920 Members
4320 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Event Monitor Notifications - send to a different address

gunners
Frequent Advisor

Hmm, ok Bill thanks again for great info.

I've done all of the above , added in addresses and alias in the aliases file , ran newaliases which ran fine , checked that mail is up and running , changed the alert level to 'Informational' , ran several tests , but nothing has come though at all.

Is there anything else I could check ? :/

Cheers

D

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Yes, check your mail log at /var/adm/syslog/mail.log. If you have never setup outgoing email on this server, nothing will be sent out. The vast majority of data centers will block outgoing email from any machine that is not part of a centralized system like Exchange.  To verify that EMS is working, change the ems-notify to point to root and test again. You should see the email in root's mailbox. Once that is working, you'll have to get the email server admin to permit email from your server to deliver to your business email. That's usually an easy task. However, if you need notifications to go outside the company (say,  for text messaging, etc), then the mail server must be configured to relay email for your server. Note that only outgoing relay is needed. You don't need to receive any email on this server in response to EMS alerts.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
gunners
Frequent Advisor

Hi again Bill,

Ok , yes I did have a look at that ok. We do have exchange etc configured and receive mails (so do the Apps Teams) , Data Protector backup mails etc so all of that is deffo configured

I had a tail -100 of the mail log as you suggested.

The last entries in it are of me running the 'newalias' command , but nothing after that (even though I tried  running a test after all of the above)?

This is a real Monday Challenge haha

:/

D

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Since outgoing email works OK and there is no log for EMS messages going out, check that you can send a test message and it gets logged in mail.log:

mailx -s "test msg" ems-notify < /etc/motd

You can use mtail to quickly look at the bottom of the mail log.

If that is OK, then check the EMS logs in /etc/opt/resmon/log, specifically tail -50 for the api.log and registrar.log.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin