6057 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanded Host Name

Farooq Saleem
Frequent Advisor

Expanded Host Name

Hi,

I am using HP-UX 11i v2 (June 2008 Media) on rx2660 itanium machine.

I want to assign hostname to machine which is 12 letter long.

I try following command but it is giving error
=======================================
# kctune expanded_node_host_names=1
ERROR: There are no tunables matching the name you specified.
=======================================

HP UX Manual says long hostname can be set through above mentioned command.

Please give suggestion about this.
6 REPLIES 6
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

just check that this bundle is installed on ur system.

This enables for teh nodenames and hostname all to be specified as long as 255 charatchers.

Additional product information

Product #: NodeHostNameXpnd
Version: B.11.23.01
Software specification: HP-UX 11i v2 September 2004 or later

this is freee of cost but for actual implementation and the caution go thru the ref pages for the prod at

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=NodeHostNameXpnd

NOTE: make sure that ur system is patched enogh and u understand teh impact of changing the hostname and nodename to 255 chars max on the applications that ur system runs.
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi can u see and check the O/P of the command as

getconf _SC_HOST_NAME_MAX and tell the O/P

Sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi

u can have a look at the following that clearly says that the BUndle that i was earlier talking about must be installed on an 11iv2 system to enable that feature of long host names as u desire in this case.
have a look at this

http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-6469/ch09s13.html

so u gan go ahead and install the same downloading free from the site that i earlier have specified.

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=NodeHostNameXpnd

after u download this to ur PC , upload using ftp this depot to the server in /tmp directory or somewhere in binary mode.

This is somewhat 274 MB in size.

and after that run a simple swinstall

#swinstall ├в s /tmp/

On a Standard basis HP says that u must understand the Impact of using the non-standard hostname as that poses compatibility issues with certain applications.

Regards
Sujit
do not forget assigning the points at least if u r helped by a post. Someone has spent time for u.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

S.K.S. noted: "....u must understand the Impact of using the non-standard hostname as that poses compatibility issues with certain applications."

to which I would add that you won't find out *which* applications have problems with "long" names until you try to run them. I strongly recommend that you stick to the standard 8 character name
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The requirement for a long hostname is usually not what is needed. The man page for hostname explains the difference between the standard Unix hostname and network names. You can call your computer 10 different names (some sysadmins may have derogatory names) that are much longer than 8 characters. You set the two basic names in the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf. Normally, there is just one line:

HOSTNAME="myhost"

For a long network name and a legal hostname (for uname), use both variables in the netconf file:

HOSTNAME="short"
NODENAME="longcomputername"

And you can add many additional names for the computer in /etc/hosts. As mentioned, adding the patch to your system can break applications, scripts and networking tools. The list would be very extensive, certainly not worth it to create an unstable environment.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin